• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I have a RIA .38 snub; it's parkerized; the sights are all parkerized, as well, which makes them difficult to line up; the front sight is permanently attached to the barrel, thus replacement is more difficult/costly. I've seen others who have painted their sights with paint, paint markers, nail polish, etc. My questions are: how have you made your front sights stand out? How has it held up? What kind of prep do I need to do to the sight before painting it? What color did you use? Would you do it the same way knowing what you do now or do it a different way? Thanks in advance!

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    on my carry ruger sr9c i used bright orange on the front sight. i really like it. i just made sure it was not dirty or dusty or oily and just used a tooth pick to paint it in the dot. did same on wifes shield 9mm but used bright green, she like it. there colours she already had. they hold up good for the last 6 months. can always change colour just use non acetone nail polish remover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I like a product called glow-on. It looks white in the day time and glows bright for awhile at night. I figure if im using paint anyway i may as well make it glow. After application wait for dry then hit it with nail polish clear coat. Mines looking good and when i painted their was snow on the ground.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I thought about Testor's as I have some white laying around the house already. I know some use it to do color fill on ARs and other firearms. I wasn't sure how well it would work on a sight as the likelihood of rubbing it off unholstering and reholstering the gun. Have you seen this happen? Mcfly, was this on your carry piece? Have you seen the glow-on rubbing off at all?

Last edited:

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I don't have the equipment to mill out a slot. I did think about drilling a small divot kind of like other standard sights.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I thought about Testor's as I have some white laying around the house already. I know some use it to do color fill on ARs and other firearms. I wasn't sure how well it would work on a sight as the likelihood of rubbing it off unholstering and reholstering the gun. Have you seen this happen? Mcfly, was this on your carry piece? Have you seen the glow-on rubbing off at all?

On first application i did not use the clear coat on top and the paint came off within two range trips. On second application The paint was applied to my edc and the clear coat was added. I have now holstered and unholstered that firearm a ton and shot it to death and wear has been minimal. I will upload pictures tonight after my shifT.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    So far ive only seen it online. Id check out the reviews they are accurate. The charge does not last forever and it is not a replacement for a tritium sight. But it has its applications.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have used orang phosphorescent model paint, but found it did not stick well on the sights. Also found the color disappeared into the orange bull's eye on many targets. I now find typical white out works well. It hold on the sight; it is bright against all colors of target bull's eyes; and it is easily found for quick sighting. Cheap and readily available, too.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Check out hobby lobby they have a lot of paint to pick from ,even some glow in the dark

I used their glowing orange, but found it did not hold on the sight well and the color merged with many target bull's eyes. Try the green or yellow and et us know how it works.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A) surface prep is every thing.....clean of grease /oil

B) best stuff to use..... Home wears like iron, lasts for years and years out side on cars and signs.......high pigment....you near fort wayne? i have the stuff in quart cans, and i will do you up if you want......

C) surface prep is every thing

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    A) surface prep is every thing.....clean of grease /oil

B) best stuff to use..... Home wears like iron, lasts for years and years out side on cars and signs.......high pigment....you near fort wayne? i have the stuff in quart cans, and i will do you up if you want......

C) surface prep is every thing

What do you use for prep? I was thinking mineral spirits.

I am fairly close to the Fort (about an hour and 20), but I won't be up that way for a few weeks.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    no, do not use mineral spirits, the stuff does not dry, and is not a great wax and grease remover , i would use, wax and grease remover or enamel reducer or lacquer thinner or acetone .....put on nitrite gloves, wash your gloves in soap & water, apply,what ever your using to a lint free cloth, wipe area to be painted, do this several times, then change gloves, mix up your paint, as your paint is "sweating in" , use a hair dryer to heat up the sight just a little, then apply THIN even coats of paint, allow to dry between coats of paint

do all of this in a well ventilated and well lit area my i suggest outside

you may be able to get some paint and harder from a bodyshop, as all you need is a very small amount

hope this helps

Aaron

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been using finger nail polish for years. Bright florescent orange and green. the front is orange the rear is green. They contrast well together. My 640-3 is always on me. I painted it probably 5 years ago or so. I figured I would have to repaint it a few times a year. Nope, it's still the first finish.

I prepped it with acetone. It must be completely degreased. I put 3-4 layers on it one layer at a time. Let it dry for an hour between coats. It has worn like iron. Gun cleaning solvents and oil has not affected it. Cheap and easy.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom