Hollow ground screwdriver for Ruger sp101 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 65hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2017
    Anderson
    The only handgun I currently own is the snubbie sp101. I want to buy a hollow ground screwdriver to remove the grips without marring the screw. I am not aware of any other screws on this pistol that I will need to access. What size bit or screwdriver should I purchase that best fits the grip screw ?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Pick up a Brownells Magna-Tip set. Then, try the bits until you find the one that correctly fits the screw. If you want a perfect fit for any specific screw, buy some extra tips and grind them to fit.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The screwdriver bits in any decent gunsmithing tool set will be hollow ground. Wheeler Engineering for example. Available at online retailers like Midway USA, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Brownells, etc.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The screwdriver bits in the bucket in the hardware store when you are paying for your purchase are hollow ground.

Or you could pay 3 times as much from Brownells. I have done both until I started paying attention.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok gotta ask what exactly is hollow ground and what is so special about it? For numerous gun screws I always just grab a trusty Snap on screw driver and haven't had any issues

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ok gotta ask what exactly is hollow ground and what is so special about it? For numerous gun screws I always just grab a trusty Snap on screw driver and haven't had any issues

The tip isn't wedge shaped like a "traditional" flat head screwdriver. It's more flat.

Hollow ground on left.

drivers.jpg

Spaceman Spiff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2017
    Henderson
    I could be wrong, but I think most screwdriver bits are hollow ground, most screwdrivers not.

One thing to note, the SP101 screw should not be very tight, so you aren't likely to mangle it. The locator pin under the inserts is what keeps the grip from moving around. The screw basically just holds on the panels. And if you should screw it up, just call Ruger, they will send you a new one.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I could be wrong, but I think most screwdriver bits are hollow ground, most screwdrivers not.

One thing to note, the SP101 screw should not be very tight, so you aren't likely to mangle it. The locator pin under the inserts is what keeps the grip from moving around. The screw basically just holds on the panels. And if you should screw it up, just call Ruger, they will send you a new one.
    I'll agree with you in theory.
    I own a few Rugers and one thing I have learned is Ruger has a great Service Dept bailing their arse out. You're liable to find any type of surprise with them.

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    I use the magna tip screwdrive set from brownells. Its a bit pricey, but if you are going to expand your collection, its worth it. If just one gun, I would look for something else.

Top Bottom