• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There seem to be many answers to this question but id like to hear from those with first hand experience. What is the least expensive option for me to send a 1911 to Metalloy in AR for a hard chrome treatment. I know I can ship overnight via FedEx/UPS or USPS but these options even very high ($85 and up). Can I have an FFL ship without them having to put it in the book and charge me a transfer fee? Anyone know of an FFL somewhat local to Indy that would help on something like this? Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Take a little road trip and stop in Memphis for BBQ, but take another pistol!

-Nate

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Just ship it standard ground with insurance/signature confirmation. Well packaged, decent sized box, just don't make it obvious it's a pistol

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Pay a FFL to ship it for you, It will be covered . The other way they won't cover any damage unless it is shipped over nite and declared as a gun.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Anyone know of a friendly FFL around Indy that understands this? So far Indy Arms and Indiana Gun Club haven't understood the law and wanted to charge $30 and $25 plus shipping ....:dunno:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Anyone know of a friendly FFL around Indy that understands this? So far Indy Arms and Indiana Gun Club haven't understood the law and wanted to charge $30 and $25 plus shipping ....:dunno:

Just curious what you think a business should charge for this service?

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Happy to pay the cost of shipping but I can assure you an FFL holder that would help me avoid the cost of overnight shipping both ways would also gain my business on items like ammo, powder, etc. In a rapidly changing business environment where most customers have these items shipped straight to there house via Amazon Prime, or websites that offer free shipping on ammo by the case I would think a business owner would see the value in profit through longevity vs immediate gain, especially on something that does not require me to use their FFL license. Would you consider that a fair trade off?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Happy to pay the cost of shipping but I can assure you an FFL holder that would help me avoid the cost of overnight shipping both ways would also gain my business on items like ammo, powder, etc. In a rapidly changing business environment where most customers have these items shipped straight to there house via Amazon Prime, or websites that offer free shipping on ammo by the case I would think a business owner would see the value in profit through longevity vs immediate gain, especially on something that does not require me to use their FFL license. Would you consider that a fair trade off?

I guess my question is why weren't you all ready buying powder, primers,etc from them? Maybe they would have cut you a better deal if they had seen you there buying things before. I would say it would be a poor business practice to assume that cutting a customer a free deal will guarantee that you will ever see them again. It sure won't pay the bills this week.

BTY while it may not be a transfer the dealer still has to fill out a form to ship through the mail and has to take the gun to the post office to mail it. Depends how far that is but dealer may have over a hour invested in saving you some money.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I highly doubt any business is going to break even for you in the hopes of future business. If they do, don't worry, they will be out of business soon enough.

As boss said, for a long standing customer, absolutely. For how blow off the street, no way. They have to pay the bills somehow. If you called them, then they have to pay the guy who answered the phone (most employees of businesses dont volunteer their time).

I have do doubt a business owner would see the value in longevity, but your asking them to throw you the first bone, and the odds of them ever seeing you again after that bone are next to none. I've fell for this trap myself in my early years, only to have the customer I helped at no profit do business elsewhere to save the tax.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You are both making the assumption that I haven't been a customer of both of the gun shops I mentioned previously for quite some time. I have shot at the gun club for 15 yrs (though more often when I lived closer to be fair) and have conducted multiple FFL transfers for out of state sales . The second shop mentioned I have frequented since the 3rd or 4th week they opened and for 6 months shot at the range 2-3 times a week as well as making retail purchases. Not sure if that makes me a "blow off of the street" but it seems the first sentence of my original post still holds true.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Maybe it's because we both are in the business.:dunno:

You insinuate that because they want to charge you for a service they are UNFRIENDLY ?????

You said you did "multiple transfers" through one of the dealers. Why didn't you buy from the dealer? Doing transfers doesn't put you in the good customer category when the dealer has or can get you what you bought out of state.:twocents:

I send handguns thru the mail all the time and usually it is $25-$30 to ship and insure for $1000-$1500. So $30 to ship and $30 to the more expensive dealer to cover his time adds up to $60 which is $25+ less than you shipping. Sounds like they did save you some money.

I just asked a question in my first post but your replies and naming of dealers that won't do stuff for you for free because you are entitled:rolleyes: is a little much.

Good luck finding someone that "understands the law" although the law has nothing to do with you wanting free things.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Guys, these are all good suggestions and discussion points, but I can't see how ANY of them result in BBQ...

-Nate

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Jesus, I'm not sure why I ask questions on this forum and expect an answer. The firearms I transferred were me selling discontinued or rare firearms to buyers in other states but thanks again for jumping to conclusions without any background knowledge.

I simply asked what is the least expensive way to ship a firearm for services as I haven't done it before. I regret naming the businesses in a previous post but I guess I grew accustomed to $15-$20 transfers.

Thanks to all that contributed

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Jesus, I'm not sure why I ask questions on this forum and expect an answer. The firearms I transferred were me selling discontinued or rare firearms to buyers in other states but thanks again for jumping to conclusions without any background knowledge.

I simply asked what is the least expensive way to ship a firearm for services as I haven't done it before. I regret naming the businesses in a previous post but I guess I grew accustomed to $15-$20 transfers.

I would think the cheapest way to do it would be to ship it yourself VIA FedEx. Anytime you hire another business to do something for you its going to cost more.

If I miss understood your post, I apologize. To me, it sounded like you didn't have a personally relationship with the business's mentioned, and expected them to work for free in an effort to gain loyalty from you. Having been down that road before, and done the "work for free" thing in an effort to gain loyalty, I can tell you Its a losing business plan for the shop, but I will admit it is a sore subject for me due to past experience.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

Well guilty as charged. Sorry for jumping to conclusions but this is the internet and if you would have put those details in your post I wouldn't have jumped to those conclusions. I just thought it sounded like you were whining about not getting something for free.
    Sorry if you took it wrong and I read it wrong.
    Still sounds like one of the dealers you listed would be cheaper than you shipping it yourself.:dunno:
    If you want to come to Silver Creek in Sellersburg Sunday at the USPSA match and give me postage I will ship it for free. Bring a gun and shoot the match and have some fun with us.
    Yea I know it's stupid to drive that far to save a few bucks but I do stupid stuff like that all the time when it comes to shooting matches.

Top Bottom