• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    the region
    What do you use and where do you get it? Ive used #100/120 aluminum oxide and it worked well- it's about 25lbs for 40 bucks on amazon...

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, I had too
    I cerakoted a Walther .22 MP5 clone without blasting. I removed the old finish with acetone and elbow grease and it's held up just fine, the surfaces did have some 'tooth' to it though.
    I'll likely kote one of my 1911s and was thinking about getting one of those cheap spot blasters from Harbor Freight and give it a light shot with aluminum oxide

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have aluminum oxide in my cabinet and am looking to change it up to something cleaner. It seems to discolor the metal. Not really abrasive. It does clean off the what ever you wish to be removed but it is kind of sissy as abrasives go.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have aluminum oxide in my cabinet and am looking to change it up to something cleaner. It seems to discolor the metal. Not really abrasive. It does clean off the what ever you wish to be removed but it is kind of sissy as abrasives go.
    I've not done it so I don't know but aren't you looking for a lightly roughened surface (almost at a microscopic level) to give the coating something to adhere to?

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Locally (Indianapolis) you can get blasting media from Sandblasting & Abrasive Blasting Equipment & Parts | Indianapolis, Indiana | IDS Blast. They are located off of East 30th Street between 465 and Post Road. I've used Aluminum Oxide for years because I'm too cheap to step up to Silicon Carbide. Originally used the blast cabinet to etch glass, then moved into refurbishing/restoring Coleman lanterns and stoves. The more times you recycle the media, the finer the finish. AO does create a lot of static. My understanding is that SC does not and is therefore cleaner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Locally (Indianapolis) you can get blasting media from Sandblasting & Abrasive Blasting Equipment & Parts | Indianapolis, Indiana | IDS Blast. They are located off of East 30th Street between 465 and Post Road. I've used Aluminum Oxide for years because I'm too cheap to step up to Silicon Carbide. Originally used the blast cabinet to etch glass, then moved into refurbishing/restoring Coleman lanterns and stoves. The more times you recycle the media, the finer the finish. AO does create a lot of static. My understanding is that SC does not and is therefore cleaner.

After this topic came up today Silicon Carbide has been recommended.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Does the Cerakote manufacturer provide a technical data sheet or other instructions that provide a suggested media type, mesh size, or anchor profile depth? (This would be typical of industrial coatings with which I am pretty familiar. )

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I believe there is a prep/application guide on their website
    I don't remember if they included a tech sheet with their kits like automotive paints have available

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom