• ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Howdy folks -

I've been considering getting an ultrasonic cleaner to help with cleaning parts to my guns. Hornady makes some popular ones, but I don't really know how the process work or if it is even worth it. I sort of cringe when I think of dunking my bcg or upper into a bucket of water - I just think OMG RUST. Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that an issue?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    When the object is in the cleaning solution tank microscopic air bubbles bombard the object removing the dirt. The ultrasonic transducers vibrate the solution at approximately 40,000 times per second. I would highly recommend getting a unit with a heated solution tank. As long as you remove the object from the tank when cleaning is done there is no issues with rust.
    c6m48uT.jpg

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have used two ultrasonic cleaners for pistols. Mostly recently was a Hornady heated unit. I was cleaning very dirty range guns. Each gun was detail stripped. After thirty minutes in the tank, I rinsed in water and shook the excess water away. I then cleaned the bore with copper brush and patches. Wiped everything with a clean cloth and lubricated where needed. After cleaning hundreds of times, I do not see a real advantage over cleaning without the ultrasonic units. I only used the utrasonic as directed by my former employer. You may have different results.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I have used two ultrasonic cleaners for pistols. Mostly recently was a Hornady heated unit. I was cleaning very dirty range guns. Each gun was detail stripped. After thirty minutes in the tank, I rinsed in water and shook the excess water away. I then cleaned the bore with copper brush and patches. Wiped everything with a clean cloth and lubricated where needed. After cleaning hundreds of times, I do not see a real advantage over cleaning without the ultrasonic units. I only used the utrasonic as directed by my former employer. You may have different results.
    Thanks for your input - that's kinda what I was wondering. Is it a huge time saver? The large heated Hornady one is like $450. I could get a new gun for that.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    I use the harbor freight model too, if you buy one make sure you google a 20 or 25% of coupon code, there is always one floating around. I think they sell the solution for it too there or you can get it on amazon for a little cheaper I think.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I have this one:

https://m.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

You can catch them on sale for around $50. It's the exact same model Lyman sells at twice the price with their name on it. Works great for detail cleaning, suppressor baffles, small parts, etc. I had a BCG that had it been cleaned in a couple thousand rounds. When I dropped it in, you could watch the grime explode off of it. Came out looking brand new.
    Me too. and agree. Changing the solution depends on what you are cleaning. Certainly after several batches of range brass it need dumped out. One thing that you can do is use plain water in the tank and use a heavy duty ziplock with solution and the part in it to place into the water. the sound waves go right through the ziplock and the mess stays in the bag.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My .02:

I would only use ultrasonic for things that are REALLY dirty with REALLY obnoxious nooks and crannies. Like an AR BCG or a Glock slide. Or maybe a Glock frame too if I was feeling lazy and wanted a REALLY deep clean.

Outside of that, my brushes, patches, jags, rods, and solvents work well and arent that inconvenient. Its downright cathartic to sit and clean a gun. Except for the parts that are really hard to clean.

And my brass gets perfectly clean in a tumbler, so that is out as well.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Me too. and agree. Changing the solution depends on what you are cleaning. Certainly after several batches of range brass it need dumped out. One thing that you can do is use plain water in the tank and use a heavy duty ziplock with solution and the part in it to place into the water. the sound waves go right through the ziplock and the mess stays in the bag.

The waves go through glass as well. I put a small mason jar of pure hoppe's and my baffles when I go too long between cleanings. Other times I just use Krud Kutter solution in the tank.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My experience with ultrasonic cleaners was at work, cleaning injection molds for wire connectors. The molds could cost over a hundred grand and have thousands of pieces, some incredibly delicate. To disassemble and clean one could take a guy 2 days. There was always a risk of damaging components or re-assembling things wrong. Molds have vents that allow air and gasses to escape when the plastic flows into them. Often these vents were .0005" deep and filled with crud. This crud was often from a halogen flame retardant which is very corrosive to steel. With an ultrasonic, you could drop in the assembled mold, clean it for three hours. Drop it in a rinse tank for a few minutes, remove, and be done. The type of cleaning solution, plus the heated tanks, made rust a nonissue.

Of course those units cost 30-40 grand. But damn would they clean a dirty, old lawn mower carburetor like a champ.;)

Top Bottom