• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    So i just finished my first AR-15 build and it works very well. I just put a plain jane bcg in it along with a milspec trigger, but it just feels kind of gritty when you chamber a round,(yes i did lube it). I have looked at some videos of guys polishing the internals of their ar and is it ok to do this on mine yet? I have put about 200 rounds through it and just need to know will polishing help it function better or am i wasting my time until i run more rounds through it. Thanks in advance.:ingo:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm picky when I put an upper together.
    I run my finger in the BCG channel to see how smooth it is and I feel the finish of the BCG itself. Some of the machine work on the BCGs these days is awful. You look at them under a magnifying glass and you will see some horrible casting and maching work. Pathetic "value" parts quality.
    I'd guess that you'll be able to make that determination to polishing after you figure out where the rubbing is.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Hey OP. How did everything go with Delton? I have been looking at one of their upper kits but have been a little scared to pull the trigger due to some reviews I have read online.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You are never going to get a good drop in trigger for $20 or $30 bucks. If you are ok with a combat trigger, parts kits triggers are generally at least functional.

If you want a better trigger, break out your wallet, an Extra hundred will at least put you in the good triggers. An extra $150 plus will get you to very good.

redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    It went well, the upper seems good, it zero'd quickly and is accurate. Had a little trouble with the first few rounds not ejecting well, but i am not sure if this is normal or not for a new upper. Once i put about 20 rounds through it, problem seemed to work it self out. I personally like it, and a good company to order from. It was my first build and it was fun, and yes i should have not been a tight wad and spent a little more money on a trigger, but i am going to see if i can polish it up a little and make it better.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Congrats...a first-build is a nice thing!

I suggest you shoot 500-1,000 rounds through it before you start 'messing' or 'adding' to it as sometimes things just need to smooth themselves out a bit?

A light polishing on the trigger is good for those initial 'bumps'...but given time, a majority of them should work themselves out a bit as things get working. I prefer to put just a light-dab of a copper lubricant where the trigger and the hammer clamp together...that helps to keep things smooth as well!

Do your research on the trigger before you spend the $$...ask questions and see if you can try a few (if possible) before you ante up the dough. It sucks to spend $250 on a nice trigger...only to find out 3 months later that you find one you like better! Just a thought...

My first build was a 10.5" Anderson Upper and lower pistol for the wife...using a .223 Wylde barrel and a simple mil-spec trigger! It was 'stiff' for about 300+ rounds, but once it broke itself in, everything just sort of fell into place...and it's a nice shooter! Using a Burris Red Dot, it's zero'd for 75 meters, which, for the wife, makes for a nice plinker for around the home.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom