Need gunsmith for inletting rifle stock or?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    I have a Savage model P .308 with an 18 inch barrel and have just purchased a Boyds pro varmint laminated wood stock. The action inletting and overall stock work seems good but the barrel is oversized and the stock needs work. I want it free floating not bedded. Any recommendations for gunsmith in the Ft. Wayne area or other thoughts. I was also thinking of using a wood dowel of the right size and sandpaper. I heard of Richard Clauss but can't find his contact online.

i live in an apartment and don't have the typical woodworking tools to work on it. Probably the days of Dave Scwartze and his prices are long gone.

TIA.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you get yourself into trouble, call Jerry Johnson. 260-693-1902 He will be happy to do what you need done.

Richard Clauss is right on 327 almost to Garrett. He has a sign out front. Look for it on the right when you are going north. You can just stop in to discuss what you want done. Better than a phone call IMO.

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    Dean, I've been a member of FWRR for over 65 years. I think that I'm the second oldest member (in age) next to the lawyer. I'm Wayne D.
    I was pres for one year back when Jim Hoelle was secretary and Adolph Pence was the oldest then. We held meetings at the National guard Armory in Ft. Wayne. Somewhere along there I was in the Army and served in the Korean war.

I've been using the dowel and sandpaper on the stock. I'm getting there but it's a PITA to do because of my arthritic wrists and fingers but I think that I've got a handle on it now

Three hours later and I've removed about .150 inch from the barrel inletting. A hot garage and palm cramps didn't help but it's done. It's back together but it's not quite free floating. The barrel has a slight pressure point. I''l try some rounds but might have to get back at it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom