• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    We were shooting this weekend (in the sweltering heat).
    It was great.
    A friend of mine was shooting his P226 and it just locked up.
    It is about 1/10" from going in to battery and it will move about an 1/8" but nothing more that that.
    Since it is not in battery, you can see that there is a casing still in the chamber.
    We did not know if it was a loaded round or an empty at first.
    But, we dropped an ink pen down the barrel to measure and it is definitely a spent casing.
    That was a relief.

We tried forcing it as much as we felt comfortable but it is REALLY tight.
    We put it in the freezer and froze it overnight with hopes that upon warming back up it would break free.
    Nope.

Any ideas as to why this would happen and what to do about it?

Oh yeah and is there a good gunsmith in the Bedford area?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The only time I have seen a P226 do that was when it had a barrel obstruction and a round was fired. The barrel bulged a little and prevented the slide from moving. Hopefully that's not it!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    hold the slide very very firmly with your weak hand. hit the rear of your frame hard with the web/heal of your stong hand.
    I've only seen this not clear a badly jammed case a couple of times, and those involved something major broken, like the bulged barrel example above...

-rvb

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Put the front of the slide (between the barrel and front sight) on the edge of a picnic table and push down.
    I've done this when i had a reload jam up

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Had my cz lock up one time like this, I just separated the slide from the frame and was then able to remove the barrel and clear the bulged case.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Hold the pistol pointed straight up with your elbow at waist level. (Pistol should be near face level).
    Grab the slide with the other hand and kinda (gently) slam your elbow into the bench while pushing down on the slide with the other hand. Wish I could find a video on it. Makes it so much easier to understand.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Rawhide hammer. Your hand is not a hammer.
    THIS!
    LOL
    I tried using the heel of my hand.
    It didn't get the slide free and it hurt.
    We did use a wood block and a hammer on the end of the slide.
    Like I said before, as much as we felt comfortable.
    No luck there either.

It is going to a gunsmith.
    I will post when I know what happened.
    It is so tight it seems a bit more serious than a stuck casing.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have had a buddies shield lock up twice due to crappy ammunition. One time we managed to run the slide to the rear by pressing the rear sight into a ledge and applying our weigh to it via the grip. When it went back I took the slide off the frame and then pressed the barrel out of it and removed the round with a flat head from the barrel. This is because the extractor would not pull out the round. Hopefully there is a ledge on the rear sight to be able to do it.

I've also beaten the slide to the rear with a rubber mallet... That was after the above did not work. And I drove it out via the muzzle end with a mallet and rod.

On a personal issue once shooting some wolf in 380 I had a similar issue and I was able to just push the slide forward and fire the shot but it sounds like the lock up here is pretty bad.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have heard of people putting the slide in a vice (with leather protecting it) and and then shoving real hard on the grip.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I unno guys. If it comes to the point where a hammer is needed i have a pretty competent gunsmith 25 minutes from where i shoot.
    i dont like hitting my nice things with hammers.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I unno guys. If it comes to the point where a hammer is needed i have a pretty competent gunsmith 25 minutes from where i shoot.
    i dont like hitting my nice things with hammers.

That's what a lot of gunsmiths would do anyway
    Have you applied a little downward pressure on the barrel hood and tried to move the slide back?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    No.
    I talked to him yesterday.
    He tried pushing down on the barrel hood (said he even used pliers with wood for a cushion)
    No good.
    He put a 1/4" steel rod down through the barrel and tried to break it free with a hammer that way.
    Nothing.
    We are totally stumped.

Who in the Bedford/Bloomington area can figure this out?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Call Sig Customer Service . From all reports they are very helpful. It might have to go back to the mother ship.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Had an FBI agent that used to practice on my range. One day he left his Glock model 19 at the house for me to look at. He said he couldn't get the spent case to eject. He was shooting wolf steel case at the time. When I inspected it, I noticed the barrel had a slight bulge thus preventing the slide from fully retracting. We finally managed to remove the barrel and no apparent damage to the slide. Upon a subsequent inquiry he said he noticed the previous round fired prior to the one that stuck the case was just a little pop. He probably stuck a bullet a bullet in the barrel and with the following shot bulged the barrel. He was lucky he didn't have a kABOOM! I don't recommend beating on the gun too much as you could cause additional damage.

Top Bottom