• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    I was pretty pumped to break in a new AR, but had one issue you all would probably know all about. Everything works great, except it's not always picking the new round cleanly from the mag. On occasion, the top of the round only barely gets to the barrel, and the BCG dents the side of the brass with the round in an awkward, half-sideways position. With a pull of the charging handle, it'lll eject fine and load a new round, but it's a fairly routine problem at this point.

is this a common break-in issue? Think it's the new mags? Just need more oil in the BCG? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Could be ammo? Could be a misaligned gas block obstructing the hole causing a short stroke? Improper feed ramp geometry?

Lots of variables with little info to go on.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I had a similar issue when using low end steel magazines. The mag had a burr that was preventing clean removal of the round from the mag. Switched to P-Mags and the issue was gone.

Like Double T said, little information but thats my 2Cents.

Good luck

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    I had a similar issue when using low end steel magazines. The mag had a burr that was preventing clean removal of the round from the mag. Switched to P-Mags and the issue was gone.

Like Double T said, little information but thats my 2Cents.

Good luck

Thanks for the help.

Here's a little more info. I have good, new p mags. The problem was reduced with a generous amount of lubrication--but not completely solved. Maybe more would help? Do you ever need to lube the buffer or the mag?

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Brands:Barrel? BCG?

Ballistic Advantage and Aero Precision (nickel boron).

i talked with someone today who asked how many rounds had been through it. The answer is only about 20 (I've only been through the recommended process for breaking in a barrel from BA). He suggested to take my time working through 100 rounds and then he'd bet this issue would resolve itself. Thoughts?

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Start with the easy stuff first. Since you have ruled out the magazine, what ammo have is giving you the issue, and have you tried any others?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    When it does that check the top round in the mag and see if there are scratches on the case start in mid case. That would indicate that the bolt was not making back far enough to pick up the round then that is leading you to the gas system

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    A simple check to see if it's short stroking is to load 1 round and keep the empty mag in the gun. Fire it off. If the bolt locks back then you have enough gas

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Also, "working through 100 rds and the issue resolving itself" is not likely. If it's right it'll run from the word go. Definitely need to know the ammo. Some rifles with underpowered ammo will short stroke even though they're properly built. Depends if the barrel maker drilled the gas hole to spec or a little larger

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A simple check to see if it's short stroking is to load 1 round and keep the empty mag in the gun. Fire it off. If the bolt locks back then you have enough gas

^This
    I've had 3 different friends bring me newly built AR's with much the same problems.
    All turned out to be a mis-aligned gas block.

The holes in the gas block and the barrel are not overly large. There's not a lot of room for error.
    If the gas block is not properly aligned you will continue to have issues.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have a BRD gas block jig that will properly align your gas block with a dimple. Anybody that says an AR needs 200rds for it to "break-in" frankly has no idea what they are talking about. I've built 10 uppers within the past 2 years and none of them needed "broken in". A good way to tell if your gas block is aligned is to completely take apart your BCG. With just the stripped Bolt Carrier insert it back into the upper and it should slide freely into the gas tube. If there is any resistance or binding then you have a problem with your gas tube alignment.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all of the input. The BA barrel came pre-drilled. I have the highest confidence in their quality. I installed the gas block myself. There is no resistance as I slide in the bolt. The ammo was wolf gold 55 grain .223. The bolt does lock back after I fire the final round in a mag.

I pkan to put another 50 rounds through them with plenty of lube and report back. I'll also inspect the mag tops for scratches. Thanks for the input. I'd be happy to hear any other ideas you all might have.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Thanks for all of the input. The BA barrel came pre-drilled. I have the highest confidence in their quality. I installed the gas block myself. There is no resistance as I slide in the bolt. The ammo was wolf gold 55 grain .223. The bolt does lock back after I fire the final round in a mag.

I pkan to put another 50 rounds through them with plenty of lube and report back. I'll also inspect the mag tops for scratches. Thanks for the input. I'd be happy to hear any other ideas you all might have.

Ok, then the culprit is either
    1. The bolt, specifically the retention of the extractor
    2. Magazine
    3. Barrel extention ramps are improperly aligned with the cuts in the receiver

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

if you have the "highest" confidence in their quality, why is this a problem? Try to use REAL ammo,(not the cheapest you can find) and the bolt locking back on the last round, means NOTHING, actually, the bolt locking back on the last round means nothing.(did I repeat myself?). Bolt hold open is a function of the magazine follower, and, just an added bonus. "Break in" is a better way to say "not right"! I understand many here have built and run guns from whatever parts and ammo they could beat together, but it always ends in these threads. Buy QUALITY parts from a KNOWN QUALITY manufacturer, and PAY ATTENTION to the YouTube vid, backing it up when you didn't quite catch it! Many here have their opinions on parts guns, but less have actually been paid by the .gov to make it right the first time. Rolling your own is actually an awesome step, but do it right, with the right ****! In my "time", I've built rifles for .gov, friends, acquaintances, and random folks. I've NEVER had to "warranty" a build, or "break in" a properly spec'd build? Parts AIN'T ****ing parts!!!!!(no matter what you are told or over hear!)

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    if you have the "highest" confidence in their quality, why is this a problem? Try to use REAL ammo,(not the cheapest you can find) and the bolt locking back on the last round, means NOTHING, actually, the bolt locking back on the last round means nothing.(did I repeat myself?). Bolt hold open is a function of the magazine follower, and, just an added bonus. "Break in" is a better way to say "not right"! I understand many here have built and run guns from whatever parts and ammo they could beat together, but it always ends in these threads. Buy QUALITY parts from a KNOWN QUALITY manufacturer, and PAY ATTENTION to the YouTube vid, backing it up when you didn't quite catch it! Many here have their opinions on parts guns, but less have actually been paid by the .gov to make it right the first time. Rolling your own is actually an awesome step, but do it right, with the right ****! In my "time", I've built rifles for .gov, friends, acquaintances, and random folks. I've NEVER had to "warranty" a build, or "break in" a properly spec'd build? Parts AIN'T ****ing parts!!!!!(no matter what you are told or over hear!)

Yes, yes, and yes and yes some more. I wasn't able to give you more rep apparently.:):

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    The easiest answer is to be critical and condescending. I appreciate so many of you that weren't that way and actually friend to help me fugure this out. This is my first build, and I figured the most likely problem here is with my craftsmanship--regardless of how slowly I worked and how many times I watched a how-to video closely I read detailed instructions.

For information on why you might want to go through a break-in process for a higher quality barrel, here's a link: Ballistic Advantage Barrel Break in Procedure | AR Blog

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Upon further inspection, the gas block was both a millimeter from the barrel stop and slightly offset. I've readjusted it. What are the odds this was the cause of the problem?

Top Bottom