• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I have scoured the inter-webs and haven't come up with enough information to make me confident on this matter. I'm considering building a pistol upper with a 12.5 inch barrel and a 12 inch handguard. Has anyone done this and had any issues with muzzle blast, etc.?

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That should not cause any issues, just keep your hands back when firing. Personally, I would go for something in the 10" range for that length barrel.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Handguards a half inch shorter than the barrel are common. You just need to make sure you familiarize yourself with it enough to not have an accident where you shoot yourself in the hand.

This is where hand stops come in. I use one on my 8.2" 300blk SBR.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    That should not cause any issues, just keep your hands back when firing. Personally, I would go for something in the 10" range for that length barrel.

Thanks! I've looked in the 10"-11" range as well. I like the look of the 12" handguard/12.5" barrel but I'm also practical and want whatever I select to make sense.

Handguards a half inch shorter than the barrel are common. You just need to make sure you familiarize yourself with it enough to not have an accident where you shoot yourself in the hand.

This is where hand stops come in. I use one on my 8.2" 300blk SBR.

Good idea on the handstop. I have a Strike Industries Handstop on another upper which I like. I may pick up another one for this.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    personally, I would go a little shorter on the HG as I tend to reach out there.
    the treads will be cut back 1/2", so the muzzle device will start right at the end of the HGs, if not a little inside. If your finger goes over the end at all, it will be right behind any muzzle blast. Just preference, not an absolute. But something to consider. Some guys like that type of set up. I don't like handstops because they only ever seem in the right spot for one position, get in the way on supports, etc.

2c
    -rvb

Top Bottom