• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    Took my Marlin to the range yesterday, and every round had a failure to eject. Was not an enjoyable time. What should I be looking for ejector and or spring or ammo. Every round had to be practically dug out of the chamber. Needless to say after 20 rds. I packed up and went home very PO'D. Any advice would be help full Thank you in advance.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Wild West guns bear proof extractor.

It it could be just needs some attention or oil as at least it happens every round. Check the extractor for damage as compared to a midway breakdown parts blowup. The Wild West option would be a good option over the factory replacement.

Some photos would help

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Wild West guns bear proof extractor.

It it could be just needs some attention or oil as at least it happens every round. Check the extractor for damage as compared to a midway breakdown parts blowup. The Wild West option would be a good option over the factory replacement.

Some photos would help

This right here for a start.

Your gun wouldn't extract, not eject, so it's an extractor issue (or first place to check)

Also make sure the chamber is clear, that you don't have a hunk of brass, copper, rust, or lead in there causing extra friction after the casing expands

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    So what exactly is it doing?

Is the lever working fine and it is just not pulling them out or is the lever getting in a bind trying to extract them? These are two completely different problems with three completely different solutions.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So what exactly is it doing?

Is the lever working fine and it is just not pulling them out or is the lever getting in a bind trying to extract them? These are two completely different problems with three completely different solutions.

I hate to ask an obvious question, but are you sure you opened the lever to it's fullest extent?
    If you short-stroke it, it might hang up, though I don't know why it would.

It does sound like a very tight extractor, or overly thick rims on the brass.
    Did you try more than one box of ammo?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There's a lot of sub standard ammo on the shelves.
    So many issues are caused by cheap ammo not performing properly.
    IF you bought cheap or low quality ammo I'd try something different.
    What brand, weight, ammo, etc.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    45 Colt isn't long on the rim like 44-40 or 44 magnum, although over time ammo companies have been making it larger. Check your ammo if you are getting mixed results. WW does make good products for Marlins if you go that route.

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    Okay I took the Marlin apart for cleaning and lubrication I checked the EXTRACTOR for fit on an empty shell case. The EXTRACTOR does engage the shell rim when it is out of the rifle, but will not engage when it goes into battery. I took an inert cartridge (brass, bullet, but no primer) and loadied the chamber. Feed is very good, but as I sad the EXTRACTOR will not engage the rim when it goes into the chamber. Saw on utube Ranger Point Precision Gunsmithing makes a spring loaded EXTRACTOR for the Marlin lever action, so other people must have the same problem. Will most likely order this part to see if this solves the problem.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The recess at the back of the barrel by the chamber where the extractor fits into when the gun is in battery, does it have a giant burr on it that prevents the extractor from grabbing the rim? Or is it just bad machined?

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    Upon further inspection there is a slight ramp inward towards the barrel with no space or no indentation for the extractor to engage the rim of the shell

Top Bottom