• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Lol... I like Hoppe's to, that's the standard. Believe it or not, Lucas (of Lucas oil) makes a decent oil as well.
    The Lucas gun oil is good stuff.

I usually just use an aerosol cleaner like rem action cleaner or similar (whatever's cheapest) unless it's really dirty then scrub with some clp after it has soaked. Spray off the clp with the cleaner then Lucas oil it.:twocents:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    There is most definitely something better ... my method is without a doubt the best ... you and the rest of the gun world should just do what I do ...

In all seriousness, there is no one best product or method for cleaning your firearms. Here's my routine ... YMMV.

For general cleanup it's Break Free CLP followed by a coating of Lucas Oil Extreme Duty Gun Oil (nice minty smell) on moving parts. But if grease is needed instead of oil, it's Ponsness Warren STOS for all guns except my U. S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1. The M1 gets Lubriplate 130A.

The annual deep cleaning, starts with a good soaking and scrubbing with Hoppes #9. Then, if the gun goes back into deep storage it gets a liberal coating of Break Free CO (Collector - Long Term Storage), else it gets the appropriate Lucas Oil Extreme / PW STOS / Lubriplate treatment and put back to use.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I like Shooters Choice Products, they make an entire line, bore solvent, gun oil and grease. Sometimes hard to find, I buy it at The Outdoorsman in Greenwood.
    I think Elmore's may stock it as well, I usually stay out of Elmore's............
    I'm sure it can be found on-line as well.

As a note to the OP, I have done my own side by side comparison with Hoppe's #9 and Shooters choice MC 7 Bore cleaner, Shooters Choice did a better and quicker job than Hoppe's. I used fewer patches and the bore was cleaner.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I just bought A Dan Wesson 1911. They recommend for bore cleaning Kroil and for lube and on rails FP-10,Militec-1.They would not recommend the use of Hoppes Gun Oil,Rem Oil,CLP,Slip 2000 on the rails!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I just bought A Dan Wesson 1911. They recommend for bore cleaning Kroil and for lube and on rails FP-10,Militec-1.They would not recommend the use of Hoppes Gun Oil,Rem Oil,CLP,Slip 2000 on the rails!

FP-10 is made by Shooters Choice, I have been using it for years, great product.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    What are you cleaning, what finish is on it?

1911 is stainless, All the rest are blued.

I do a general cleaning soon after use. Then again next day.
    I just picked up a Ruger 22/45 that was never taken care of.
    Everything is shot with a verity of ammo.

I am not Familiar with "CLP".

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    1911 is stainless, All the rest are blued.

I do a general cleaning soon after use. Then again next day.
    I just picked up a Ruger 22/45 that was never taken care of.
    Everything is shot with a verity of ammo.

I am not Familiar with "CLP".

I guess it depends on how much crud is there and how clean you want to get things. As a general "do-all" product, I like G96, the Lucas CLP so far has been okay but the smell is...interesting.

If you have a ton of powder crud, Slip2000 Carbon Killer works wonders

ikendrick15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Evansville
    I use hoppe’s for all standard cleaning, kroil for heavily caked on stuff (like if a suppressor is carboned up on the threads) and m-pro 7 gun oil.

Top Bottom