• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Brother dropped off his 450 AR before deer season for me to look at. Said shooting at target it works pretty good but every time he shoots a deer it has a failure to feed. I've never had an issue with an ar FTF but maybe a different weight buffer? I initially thought mag but he is using factory mag(spring seems very stiff) and a PMAG i converted for him(spring seems pretty soft) and they both act the same. Using both Hornady loaded ammo and some handloads i made for him and having problems with both. Thanks SB

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    for 450s I'd use a Lancer mag over a PMAG, there's no ridge in the front of a Lancer, you just have to fit the single shot followers to either.

How old is his 450BM? And factory mag like factory Bushmaster/Remington mag? If so, pop the thing open and check the spring out and look at it. I saw a couple that were made in the post Newtown rush that were absolutely horrible, looks like they took a 60rd spring and crammed the thing in there. Never seen one of those mags work right.

The other, is it lubed and how does the chamber look?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2016
    danville
    I have a 450. I have never had a FTF, but mine would stovepipe every couple of rounds. I installed a heavier buffer and it fixed the problem. I would ask if he has a .223 sized buffer or something heavier. .450's are known for having mag issues. I say check the mags first?

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Make sure you cut a clearance cut on the front. The best mags for these are the all stainless L80 mags that came in years ago. Take a sanding drum from a dremel and clearance cut the front of the magazine. Bout the size of the round. Also make sure you are using a blue single shot follower in the magazine. You can get these from Fulton Armory and the like.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Brother dropped off his 450 AR before deer season for me to look at. Said shooting at target it works pretty good but every time he shoots a deer it has a failure to feed. I've never had an issue with an ar FTF but maybe a different weight buffer? I initially thought mag but he is using factory mag(spring seems very stiff) and a PMAG i converted for him(spring seems pretty soft) and they both act the same. Using both Hornady loaded ammo and some handloads i made for him and having problems with both. Thanks SB

Sooooo I am going too spin this a different direction due to the first part of the post!

You said he never has failures at the range but shoots deer and gets a FTF. To me I am thinking weather related? Is there a chance that the lube that he is using doesn't like the cold and isn't allowing the bolt to fully cycle?

Just a thought?:dunno:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I shoot .50 Beowulf and noticed that pmag's fail to feed on a regular basis with the .50. I switched to some CAA mags and the ftf problem went away. I still ftf the last round of every magazine, but I'm sure that is due to using a standard AR follower, pushing the round at a very awkward angle. The main difference I could see between the two mags was that the CAA is made of a stiffer polymer and doesn't flex out like the pmag does. I am waiting on caliber specific mags which are metal.

Top Bottom