• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy guys. It’s good to be back. I have a question/favor to ask of you guys. I’ve become more interested in gunsmithing lately, going into the basics like shortening barrels and making some wooden stocks and grips. I’ve been wanting to dive a little bit deeper into things and was wondering if you guys knew where to look for “gunsmith special” type guns. I’ve tried a few local shops, but most of them outsource repairs to other smiths and it doesn’t make sense financially to keep non working or incomplete guns around. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks when it comes to looking for these kinds of things. I’d ideally like to purchase a couple of bundles of incomplete guns and work on restoring them to functional condition myself. I din't feel comfortable soliciting in the gunsmith section of INGO, so Church recommended splitting my post in two. I thought that it was a splendid idea, so if you have tips and tricks on finding or restoring some o' them "gunsmith specials" then feel free to post them here, and if you think that you can contribute to my cause then visit my post in the WTB section of the classifieds. I laid out a pretty good idea of what styles of guns I'm looking to get into and restore to working condition. Thank you for your time. -Ben

Mr2sday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What are some quality gunsmiths in the Indianapolis area that can restore a first run Gamemaster 760 Pump 30.06? It also needs a new foregrip.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    What are some quality gunsmiths in the Indianapolis area that can restore a first run Gamemaster 760 Pump 30.06? It also needs a new foregrip.

You may get better response if you start a new thread

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Check out the local pawn shops you have a better chance that they took in something that does not work well and it is not their business to make them work.

Marlin model 60’s are plentiful around cheap and also have a few issues that can be easy to overcome. Brittle buffers tube spring weakened feed ramp issues ect. Plus the stocks can be refinished with a bit of work getting off the marshield finish. That finish is a very hard finish to remove. Gets you started on the cheap. Parts still available but becoming more scarce as Remington took over. Good starters but mostly a personal protection as you will have more on parts and time than the worth of the gun.

The ruger 10-22 as project guns work well for basics but anymore frames are becoming harder to find. In the past they were frames in the 40-50 dollar range now those seem to be in the 80-100 range. Add shipping and an FFL transfer and you have almost the cost off a total older well used (maybe abused gun). Parts cheap and the Rugers do sell well at shots to others.

Pistols become harder. Good revolver gunsmiths are hard to find. Revolver timing issues tuning and such seem to be a lost art form.
    You can start with older H&R revolvers.

I think the key key is finding the correct item you have a passion for and going from there. By the way the CMP is having armory rebuild classes if you can get in one of them and love M1’s.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Parts are always an issue, I see what look like bargains on GB, until you see what's missing and then try to find it.

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    I know this is an older post but I have an early 760 30/06 in very nice condition. I was going to swap wood onto another 760 but change my mind. Might sell it at some point in time on classifieds.

Top Bottom