• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phezzik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Madison County
    Well, to be more specific, thinking about starting up a part time business offering Cerakote finishing.

Quick back story: I am relatively new to Indiana, and before I came here I lived in Oklahoma as an industrial cnc maintenance technician. Before that, however, I attended Colorado School of Trades and ran a gunsmithing shop in Albuquerque for a few years. Since moving to Indiana, I have returned to college to rack up more student loan debt while trying to learn a new trade that offers more career stability.

All of that out of the way, being a non-working college student is driving me insane. I am sitting on an invaluable Gunsmithing degree from CST, so I figured I'd test the waters and see how people might receive the idea. I am in the mid-northern area (Madison county), and while their are some well known and celebrated Cerakote finishers in the Indianapolis/Noblesville and Ft. Wayne areas, there isn't really anything in between. What do you guys think? When I first moved here the reception was overwhelming, and the requests to open a full service shop were innumerable, however that is kind of out of the cards right now. I would be obtaining my license in Indiana and getting Cerakote certified, doing bake on and air dry finishes.

So, what do y'all think? Would I be wasting time and money trying to get something running? Not looking to make a fortune or pull business from anyone; more or less just trying to keep busy while doing something that I love.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Look at what it will cost to get everything you need to do this work properly. Short cutting the process just will not work.
    Clean air supply. Proper oven. Controlled environment to spray in. A couple of decent guns. Sand blasting cabinet. Proper medium in the cabinet. A way to clean the parts.
    This is not a rattle can operation.

Phezzik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Madison County
    Well, you can believe me when I say that I am fully aware of what I am considering getting myself into. As I stated, I ran a shop in Albuquerque, and we offered some basic single color Duracoat and Cerakote refinishing; also, as a industrial maintenance technician I was involved in paint booth maintenance (we designed, manufactured, finished, and shipped ball valves for oil and gas), so I have an understanding of air supply and filtration systems. It also goes beyond just the hardware, as even though I have sourced a good second hand oven and media blast cabinet (the beauty of making contacts while working in the field), I would have to run 240v to the shop in order to run everything. As you say, this is not a "rattle can" operation, and although in my more formative years I was known to rattle can a firearm or two, this is not my intention now. My goal is to keep myself busy working on firearms, however I do not have the capital or time to open a full service gunsmith shop. I can, however, combine my love and knowledge of firearms with my artistic ability and passion for detail.

I know it may sound a bit grandeur, but again I am just gauging interest before I start investing time into it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, you can believe me when I say that I am fully aware of what I am considering getting myself into. As I stated, I ran a shop in Albuquerque, and we offered some basic single color Duracoat and Cerakote refinishing; also, as a industrial maintenance technician I was involved in paint booth maintenance (we designed, manufactured, finished, and shipped ball valves for oil and gas), so I have an understanding of air supply and filtration systems. It also goes beyond just the hardware, as even though I have sourced a good second hand oven and media blast cabinet (the beauty of making contacts while working in the field), I would have to run 240v to the shop in order to run everything. As you say, this is not a "rattle can" operation, and although in my more formative years I was known to rattle can a firearm or two, this is not my intention now. My goal is to keep myself busy working on firearms, however I do not have the capital or time to open a full service gunsmith shop. I can, however, combine my love and knowledge of firearms with my artistic ability and passion for detail.

I know it may sound a bit grandeur, but again I am just gauging interest before I start investing time into it.

Understood and I will admit I read your OP in some haste. Many have tried to "Jump" into this arena and when reality set in they were lost. My response was along those lines. And in the fact that putting yourself out there on the forum in this way can be construed as advertising by some I wanted you to be aware of that also. We protect our payed advertising members. They pay to advance their business interests on the open forum. We do allow members to list skill sets and help other members out with out fee's. But Gunsmithing not so much.

Thanks for your response to my post. Just know setting up using this site will be scrutinized.
    Luck to you in this.

-CM-

Phezzik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Madison County
    So, let me make sure I am understanding this correctly, if I may: you are suggesting that just asking about general community interest in Cerakote borders the line of required paid advertising? You act as though I am offering my services in direct competition to your valued paid members, when in fact if you read my post thoroughly (as in, not in haste, as you so eloquently put it) you would clearly see that I listed no business, no prices, no contact information, no hours, or anything else of the sort that would indicate that I even have a business to advertise. Conversely, in fact, I clearly state that I am not in the business, but rather gauging community interest. It just so happens that online forums are the best way to get in touch with and feedback from a community as a whole, however If asking a general question on a public forum is going to be met with scrutiny by someone who comes out the gates swinging, when he/she obviously hasn't fully read or comprehends the posts intent, then it is obvious that this is not a "community" that I want to be part of.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, let me make sure I am understanding this correctly, if I may: you are suggesting that just asking about general community interest in Cerakote borders the line of required paid advertising? You act as though I am offering my services in direct competition to your valued paid members, when in fact if you read my post thoroughly (as in, not in haste, as you so eloquently put it) you would clearly see that I listed no business, no prices, no contact information, no hours, or anything else of the sort that would indicate that I even have a business to advertise. Conversely, in fact, I clearly state that I am not in the business, but rather gauging community interest. It just so happens that online forums are the best way to get in touch with and feedback from a community as a whole, however If asking a general question on a public forum is going to be met with scrutiny by someone who comes out the gates swinging, when he/she obviously hasn't fully read or comprehends the posts intent, then it is obvious that this is not a "community" that I want to be part of.

No. You just can not get interest and set up a business outside of being an advertiser. That is all. And in effect that is what you are doing. If you wre an advertiser here you would get the same protection's. I do not know what that has to do with community spirit.
    We have a thread where you can market or share your skill sets. We also have threads where you can show those same skills to the community.
    Putting feelers out to star a business is another issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

No. You just can not get interest and set up a business outside of being an advertiser. That is all. And in effect that is what you are doing. If you were an advertiser here you would get the same protection's. I do not know what that has to do with community spirit.
    We have a thread where you can market or share your skill sets. We also have threads where you can show those same skills to the community.
    Putting feelers out to start a business is another issue. If you understand that great. If not we can discuss it in PM's if you wish.
    Member since 2014 and 19 posts 2 of them in here.
    Feelers are always attempt's to draw business your way. Why else put one out there.

And coming out of the gate swinging is my job here. If you were an active member you would know this already. I can read and I can comprehend. I hope you do the same thing. Stay leave no matter. I have stated our position as a member of the staff. Do with that as you will. Your call.

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    Have you looked into zoning in your area? I am guessing that you're thinking of a home based business and even if not zoning can still be tricky even in commercial areas. You'll be denied a ffl if you don't have zoning approval

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Well, bye.

A shame, it is. I liked his screen name.
    Mouse is doing his (volunteer) job correctly. Getting all thin skinned will not achieve your goals nor endear you to possible future customers. Read your OP from the perspective of someone who pays to advertise the same service you intend to offer. We all like getting something for nothing but the rules apply to us all.

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    Look at what it will cost to get everything you need to do this work properly. Short cutting the process just will not work.
    Clean air supply. Proper oven. Controlled environment to spray in. A couple of decent guns. Sand blasting cabinet. Proper medium in the cabinet. A way to clean the parts.
    This is not a rattle can operation.

+1 Prep is key and takes longer. Whether painting or plating. May want to add electroless nickel and nickel-boron there too.

Top Bottom