• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Has anyone on INGO had a rifle rebored by them? I've read a lot of good things on castboolets.com and some other sites, but I'm wondering if anyone local has experience with them.

I'm considering having one of my .30-06 rifles rebored to .35 Whelen, either a Remington 760 or a sporterized 1903A3.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Is there a specific reason to use one of those barrels instead of just getting a new blank and having the factory contour duplicated?

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    He charges $225-$275 for a rebore.

The cost of a blank plus chambering and installing on the receiver and head spacing would be significantly more.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Maybe not that much.

Green Mountain and Wilson blanks are very reasonable, and you might be $100 or less over the rebore, but with a NEW and more PROVEN barrel.

-Nate

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Maybe not that much.

Green Mountain and Wilson blanks are very reasonable, and you might be $100 or less over the rebore, but with a NEW and more PROVEN barrel.

-Nate

Yep...what he said.

Something that large of a caliber, you are either relining (epoxy? silver solder?) the barrel, or you are reaming and rerifling the barrel (taking quite a bit of metal off).

Personally, either way is not an option in my book.

But, hey...your gun.

I'd rather have a new barrel installed that you know is correct. Or even better, take the money you'd be spending on this receiver, and buy an already complete rifle.

LSUFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Bloomington
    So, as the OP asked, has anyone had this done and would speak on the experience/result?
    I've been thinking about .308 Win to .358 Win. I have had rifles rebarreled and know the costs associated with such. Not really looking for opinions there...I have my go to gunsmiths.
    Thanks.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have not but I know a few fellas on another board I’ve been on for years have had them do work. Everyone was happy with the results.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    This year I shelved the 99 Savage rebore to .338Federal project.
    Jesse Ocumpaugh's five groove rifling was going to be my choice for the piece.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    I have no personal experience with the company you are asking about but, I do own a 98 Mauser sporter that has the military barrel turned and bored to 35 Whelen by a previous owner. I can say that for the range I feel confident in shooting at something. I prefer it over my 338 win mag plus it's cheaper to reload for.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Here's an update. Last spring I bought a new Marlin 336 for an excellent price with the intention have it rebored to .38/55 by J E S Reboring. The rifle was sent to him in Oregon a week ago to have the work done and I hope to have it back in another week or so. I've picked up some factory ammo to get started and will soon be ordering dies and some cast bullets to work up my own loads with.

When end I get the rifle back and get it to the range, I'll be back with a report.

If the results are what I'm expecting to see, the sporterized 03A3 in the back of my safe may make the trip out west to be remade into a .35 Whelen.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    His work is discussed at length on the Marlin owners forum and also on the cast boolits forum. I don't recall ever reading a negative comment. This rifle is going to be usd almost exclusively with cast bullets, and on his advice, I went with 4 groove rifling. I have several boxes of 255gr factory ammo with jacketed bullets which will be used for break in and initial accuracy testing and then I'll start developing some cast loads.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom