• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    I have a 2011 that I am building along with the 1911 and thought that I would post these pics as well in a separate thread instead of combining the 2011 pics with the 1911...

I have already cut the frame rails on the milling machine. I am now fitting the slide and frame together. From this point on I am taking my time marking and fitting, adjusting by hand, marking and fitting, etc. Here is the frame off of the milling machine:

20171101_124150_zpshjf6snto.jpeg

20171101_124332_zpsc4iheuwp.jpeg

20171101_124522_zpsmqufhwca.jpeg

Starting with parallel is key to a smooth, yet tight fit.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Love to post a picture of the Bomar-style sights that I should be installed, but I had the wrong dovetail cutter on hand... Now the slide is clogging up the vise :xmad:, but that was my mistake. Going to get a jump on some more frame checkering while I am waiting for the cutter to arrive.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    This 2011 is mine and has not seen much attention with other work taking priority, but I have some time right now to get the barrel fit. The barrel is a KKM in 40SW.

20180202_184723_zpszefwv3mp.jpeg

I measured the breech face with calipers, then double checked the measurement with a gage pin.

20180202_185645_zps0xo5rq4d.jpeg

20180202_185954_zpstskvpvuk.jpeg

Shop made block to keep the barrel centered during measurement.

20180202_191012_zpsdslqbh9t.jpeg

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    I zero'd out the DRO and took a measurement from the right side of the barrel hood and the inside of the ejection port. That measurement is listed on the Z axis on the DRO.
    mAdzZGI
    mAdzZGI

mAdzZGIh.jpg

5iYoqaXh.jpg

BSTFCQSh.jpg

After some measuring, I was able to calculate how much material was needed to be removed from both sides of the hood.

ZvMImw0h.jpg

After the sides of the hood were machined, I measured the distance from the breech face to the first lug and cut the length of the hood to that measurement on the lathe.

hzLc3N9h.jpg

Last edited:

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Yes. Width of the hood notch in the breech face is .376. Taking the measurements as pictured above allows you to know how much to take off of the right-hand side of the hood. Remeasuring the hood and subtracting the breech face width gives you the left side measurement.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Hand fit the barrel to the slide. Lock up is at .052 and there is no springing.

awjAdUzh.jpg

Hood length is spot on. Fits easily with no binding and at the proper length.

ynzC6cvh.jpg

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Measuring out the cut for the lower barrel lugs.

xKAocoqh.jpg

Took a quick look at how the thumb safety would engage the notch in the slide to make sure it was going to be OK.

eVbcbzKh.jpg

Indicating the fixture prior to cutting.

bG4vL4Gh.jpg

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Yikes!I have had some setbacks, but I think I am out of the weeds. I went through several slides from a company that I will not name because they treated me very well in correcting the problem. Nonetheless, I did a LOT of work on three slides for this gun until I found one that was hardened correctly and had the proper specs. I think I am out of the woods now and have gone to JEM frames exclusively...

The slide has been flat-topped and serrated with "CCG Racing Stripes". The machine marks were removed while keeping the lines very straight.

jtyzvgWl.jpg

H1IV7VNl.jpg

uXuMdO5l.jpg

jzfOQrZl.jpg

Top Bottom