• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Without getting into the long details, I have a 380 auto with a nickel finish slide that has spotting stained into the finish. A replacement slide is $90, but a friend told me I could have it cerakoted for less than that.

I actually had thought I would keep the blemished nickel slide, and get a black one so that I could have some variety with the pistol, but I guess the truth is that the staining on the slide really takes away from the looks of the pistol so I'd probably not use the nickel slide anymore if I got a replacement.

I don't know anything about cerakote.

I know there are lots of color choices, but are there choices with types of finish (stainless, matte, etc)?

Any ideas on what the cost is? I don't know if size makes a difference, but it is a small pistol, a Bersa Thunder 380, and I would only need to do the slide. I've attached a pic below so you can see what the slide blemishes looks like.

Eagle imports told me that their gunsmiths said the finish could not be repaired via cleaning, but if anyone knows any tricks for getting blemishes out of nickel finish I'm open to that too.

View attachment 60491

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Last pistol I had cerakoted cost me 150 for the slide and the frame. I believe one or the other was 85. Cerakote is a good finish, but get it done by someone reputable. I went with a local "reputable" according to them (lots of facebook posts bragging about how good they do) and got back a pistol that had a jacked trigger that would not return (missing a part) and the slide locked before going into battery. It was a simple M&P 9L... They fixed it but had it for another week or two before getting it right, I'm pretty sure they sent it out of the shop to be properly repaired. I have an AR that AllenM cerakoted and it is perfect. I would suggest AllenM on this forum, he is an ffl so you can ship directly to him if you decide to get it coated.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    If the finish isnt affecting the function, i vote let it ride. Used pistols look better. Id be more inclined to use the money on ammo or holster or belt or any other cool stuff. Maybe a few new mags? Couple boxes of 7.62 for the AR?

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Last pistol I had cerakoted cost me 150 for the slide and the frame. I believe one or the other was 85. Cerakote is a good finish, but get it done by someone reputable. I went with a local "reputable" according to them (lots of facebook posts bragging about how good they do) and got back a pistol that had a jacked trigger that would not return (missing a part) and the slide locked before going into battery. It was a simple M&P 9L... They fixed it but had it for another week or two before getting it right, I'm pretty sure they sent it out of the shop to be properly repaired. I have an AR that AllenM cerakoted and it is perfect. I would suggest AllenM on this forum, he is an ffl so you can ship directly to him if you decide to get it coated.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it would cost that much. Makes sense I suppose, if someone does a really good job but at this point if I was going to do anything I might as well spend 5 bucks more and just get a different slide.

I will keep AllenM in mind tho for future projects.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    If the finish isnt affecting the function, i vote let it ride. Used pistols look better. Id be more inclined to use the money on ammo or holster or belt or any other cool stuff. Maybe a few new mags? Couple boxes of 7.62 for the AR?

It's not affecting the function, it's just an aesthetics thing. I don't mind a gun looking used, but this is obviously blemished and I'd like to improve that.

Although you're right, I could to a couple of the 10 rnd mags and some ammo for the cost of the replacement slide.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it would cost that much. Makes sense I suppose, if someone does a really good job but at this point if I was going to do anything I might as well spend 5 bucks more and just get a different slide.

I will keep AllenM in mind tho for future projects.

There is a substantial amount of time in preparing a slide properly for paint. And cerakote is baked on so a good applicator will have the overhead of a proper oven to bake it on. I agree with you that I would just go for another factory slide in this case. Cerakote can really limit your audience when if you want to sell it down the road, it is also difficult to get the money spent on coating it if you do find a buyer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Coatings choices are a personal thing. And yes not everyone will agree with your choices so choose wisely.
    I have had several guns done by AllenM and his work is top shelf.

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    Do it yourself Cerakote --or any shake and bake-- is expensive. The paint companies act like there is some magic potion mixed in, so they charge accordingly.

AR.jpg P320Hat.jpg

Last edited:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I picked up my first ever cerakoted gun this year. My wife likes it better than the all black version. It is a dark earth color. Then she tells me that in the level 3 retention holster it just looks like a black gun. I don't want it to even look like a gun to anyone else when I carry it. I guess what I'm am rambling my way to is: Unless you are reselling it, it only matters what you think it looks like. I only asked my wife's opinion on color because I had choice of finnishes all at the same price and didn't care.

It will be her's when I leave this world covered in empty brass and magazines. :bs:

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Hey JimmieG, I think you should just paint it yourself so it matches my glock that you love so much ;)

lol.... this guy has the ugliest Glock that you've ever seen (is it redundant to call a Glock ugly?).

If I were going to make it look like yours, I wouldn't need paint, I'd just take a hammer to it :)

Top Bottom