• ...and so much more!
  • Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Do you really need two safeties on a gun? I bought this Mossberg 464 30-30 brand new a few years ago and just got around to firing it a month ago. I knew about the lever safety but I didn't realize it would be such a pain to shoot with it. It also has top tang safety that blocks the firing pin so what's the point?

I'm wondering if there is a way to disable or remove the lever safety. This is a tang between the lever and receiver that prevents you from pulling the trigger unless you squeeze the lever up while pulling the trigger. If it's a bad idea to disable it, tell me why. I would probably pay to have it disabled if it doesn't cost too much. Any constructive input is appreciated.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st.....If you do have it disabled and there is an incident with the gun I am not sure of the legality's involved. Removing a safety is never a good thing.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The lever safety is there so the firearm will only fire when the bolt is fully closed and lever is "locked" in place.

That makes sense. I think I read that somewhere else when I was googling. Not sure how it would fire otherwise though. If that was possible, why wouldn't that be required on all lever guns? I also read that some cowboy shooters lighten the spring on their Winchester '73 but I can't find anything about modifying the Mossberg 464. I think that might be what I am looking for. A weaker spring? Any gunsmiths out there that have experience with this?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Growing up using lever actions rifles for the most part nearly as my only guns I understand the issues with the second safety.

Pull back hammer: click no bang. Rack shell click no bang. Shoot the safety button is out. Pop off safety. Bang. Hopefully the deer or whatever is still unaware of your presence. It all has to do with the older models only having a half cock safety.

I have come to like the pimple safe on my newer Marlins. Loading and unloading is much safer with the extra one. If walking in heavy brush no worries of the hammer moving to full cock from half cock.

Retraining the mind and mussle memory from the old style to new has taken time. At first I would just take off the safety once in the stand and rely on the half cock like I had for years. After a couple click click times my brain adjusted to the push button then pull hammer.

Now i I sweep the safety on marlins that don’t have it. Just took time with the new ones in the field to adjust. I now prefer the pimple safety versions extra little safety added. Once again mostly while unloading. It is the switching back and forth between the old and the new ones that still gets me off the mark and I will not replace the fine old half cock versions with newer safety versions. Just have to use the area between the ears more and try not to get all buck fevered and forget to push the button.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    They are. Winchester and Marlin both have them.

I have not done any work on a Mossberg 464, but have done several Marlins and Winchesters. I have always used Wolff spring kits. Lightens the lever, hammer and trigger.

Top Bottom