• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have one of those Classic Arms "twister" cap and ball derringers and I am trying to get it going. My grandson is very anxious to shoot it. The problem is that I can not find a nipple wrench that fits this gun.

I do have a wrench that I want to turn down to fit. Before I got gimped up, I would have freehanded this on a bench grinder with very nice results. Maybe a half inch drill and a mill file? nowadays I don't really think so. Now that I don't work anymore, I don't have access to the shop and it's various tools anyway.

So....... Can anyone recommend a small shop or smithy that would do a small job like this for a reasonable fee? Preferably at or about the east side of Indianapolis? I would like this wrench turned down to fit my little pistol, heated cherry red and then quenched into old motor oil. A simple and easy job. Any ideas?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Does it need to be lathe turned?

What's the OD now, and how much do you need to remove?

I, like you, do not have a lathe, but I'm told I'm pretty handy with this sorta thing.

-Nate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Does it need to be lathe turned?

What's the OD now, and how much do you need to remove?

I, like you, do not have a lathe, but I'm told I'm pretty handy with this sorta thing.

-Nate

No necessity for a lathe..... Unless you are a real machinist and don't understand how to do it more simply! The only criteria are that it be functional, Pretty is as pretty does and all. With that being said, I would prefer that it not be so rough as to scratch or scuff up the gun.

I don't have the actual dimensions handy but we're talking about a steel rod about six inches long and a half inch in diameter. I need maybe 1/16 or 3/32 inch diameter reduction for about a half inch from one end, then maybe 1/8 to 3/16 inch reduction for three more inches.

The dimensions require no degree of accuracy, only to be at least enough to function. It doesn't need to be pretty either, just not to be left with an abrasive surface.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sure thing. Shoot me a message and we'll have a chat on the phone. Shouldn't take me long at all, and unless I am mistsken, I believe I have a very similar #11 nipple wrench sitting around here that I could use as well.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    I bought a used Ultra-Hi ML pistol and couldn't find a nipple wrench that had small enough outer diameter to fit. Took the pistol to Friendship. Kenockee Tradin’ Post in Commercial Row had a box of dozens of home made nipple wrenches of all different sizes. In no time I found one that was close to fitting. It took the owner a minute to modify it to fit. If you can't wait for summer, their store is just north of Detroit MI. If you happen to be up that way, I am sure they can help.

Top Bottom