• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I found a nice Colt Series 70 repro awhile back and finally got around to working on it. My goal is to keep it as stock as possible but give it a few personal touches. I started with a Harrison Design medium trigger, these triggers are nice and I especially like the smooth trigger face. The factory sear/disconnector are not the best parts but I was able to get a good trigger with the factory parts and my TR jig and a little judicious stoning. I've kept the factory springs. I also installed a Harrison "retro" thumb safety, a slightly bigger shelf while still maintaining the original look, I had to take just a minute amount off of it so later on if I upgrade to better internals it should work fine with another sear. Finally I installed a Harrison retro rear sight with the serrated u-notch, these sights are nice and pretty easy to install. Future work will include serrating the front strap and a dovetailed front. I will need to shorten the hammer spur a couple serrations and then i'll round it and bevel it etc. After I get it finished and dehorned etc. i'll likely turn it over to AllenM for refinishing.

23513340_10214344418834739_622176138_n.jpg

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Really cool. I wanted a good retro shooter so I started with a Remington R1911 and replaced all the trigger parts to a 70 series and polished things up. I added an extended safety but still not an ambi. The stock sights we're dead on so I didn't change anything there.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Really cool. I wanted a good retro shooter so I started with a Remington R1911 and replaced all the trigger parts to a 70 series and polished things up. I added an extended safety but still not an ambi. The stock sights we're dead on so I didn't change anything there.

I usually checker and serrate everything in sight so not doing a lot is a departure for me!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I dropped it off to AllenM awhile ago to have the ejection port lowered, magwell beveled and a front dovetail cut done. The work was great, timely and very reasonable, I don't like farming stuff out but without a mill anymore I know I can trust him. I finally got around to installing the front sight today and that dovetail cut was phenomenal and i'm very picky about my dovetail cuts. It didn't take much to get the sight in and the cut was perfect, no gaps under the sight etc, very satisfied. I had originally done a good trigger job on the factory components with the intention of bobbing the hammer a bit but then Harrison Design ran a good sale over the holiday's so I bought his retro kit, I've been pretty much using his stuff exclusively, it's great quality. I also picked up one of his angle bored bushings as well and it fit the gun with relatively little effort on my part. It's still a work in progress but it's getting there.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

I tried, a message said I exceeded my quota or something. I'll have to try to upload and link one.

yt0cYah.jpg

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I finished my retro project a bit ago but haven't posted an update. I started with a blued Colt series 70 retro. I used Harrison ignition parts, retro rear sight and retro thumb safety, and angle bore barrel bushing, and recoil spring plug, all of excellent quality. I used an oversize EGW slide stop and reamed out the slide stop pin hole and that snugged the barrel up pretty nice, almost like a reverse barrel fit, it was my goal to keep the original Colt marked barrel and it shoots great. I also used a Dawson night sight front. AllenM cut the front sight for me and lowered the ejection port and beveled the magwell. I then sent it to Innovative Custom Guns in PA and got the slide/frame welded and fit and put in an EGW oversized ejector that he left for me to final fit, he also did simple front strap serrations for me. I also installed an EGW oversized firing pin stop and did the usual reliability work and final prep before getting it cerakoted. This was a great collaborative effort that i'm really happy with. I used to pretty much checker and serrate everything in sight but lately my tastes in 1911's have turned more minimal.

After final fitting the ejector and blending the frame and slide:

zXE6pzZ.jpg

vtqs7P9.jpg

xQfanyc.jpg

kdk7I2e.jpg

Semi-rapid fire with about 50 rounds if I remember right:

FhXFD4V.jpg

Top Bottom