• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    Does anyone have the 7.62 barrel facing and crowning cutters that your willing to let someone borrow or come over to cut, face, and crown a barrel? Im talking about the cutter type that go in a hand drill with a 7.62 pilot that goes down in the bore to keep everything positioned properly. I have the angular cutting tool to reprofile the OD of the barrel to .545 and I have the proper threading die, but in order to shorten the barrel I will have to drop another $150-$200 in cutting tools for the face and crown. I would prefer not to do that for a one time deal. Please let me know via PM, I would even be willing to rent them. Thanks!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Mr. Wayne, what task are you trying to complete?

If I say nothing else here: do NOT cut the crown with the tool in a drill. It is a hand operation.

-Nate

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    I cut my psl barrel down to 19 inches. I need to face the barrel to 90 degrees, and then cut the 11 degree crown. Those are the two cutting tools I dont have. I have the tools to thread the barrel after the facing and crowning are completed.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    So this is going to get a brake/hider put back on it after you thread?

Reason I ask is that a die is not an awesome way to thread a barrel. It is marginally acceptable for accuracy with a brake or FH, and wholly reckless if you intend to run a suppressor.

That said, in my opinion you should maybe FACE the barrel @ 90-degrees first, then profile and thread, and THEN cut the 11-degree crown and your chamfer/deburr at the outer edge of the crown.

I have the 11-degree. I don't have the 90...I always made my cut, filed and checked and filed and checked until I was happy with it being square, and then ran the cutter in. If you have a a good fit on the pilot, the 11-degree will quickly inform you as to how square you are (or are not).

I'd consider BUYING the 90-degree (8-flute x 0.750") and/or 30 cal pilot from you...but only if I do the work.

-Nate

Last edited:

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    Thank you Nate. This is a guerilla sniper rifle project I have been working on while Im off work while fighting cancer. This little project has been a godsend to me. It has allowed me to focus on something and distract me from a lot of physical and mental pain. My strength isnt there, and I have to work on it in small spurts, but all the research and on and off work has kept me feeling busy. Its definitely a project I want to do all the work on myself. Start to finish this will be my baby. Lol. I am not a gunsmith and I have no machining equiptment, but I have managed to get a lot done in my garage. The only thing slowing me down is having to buy a little here and a little there because short term disability through work doesnt pay my normal salary...I really do appreciate the advice and I will do it in that order. Thanks!

Top Bottom