• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Looking into getting into the 80% thing possibly. Completely green to the concept. I’ve never had interest till now. Mainly for an m16a1 profiled lower but would more than likely dabble in the a2 platform as well. Would rather not have the markings that the brownells a1 lower has so I started looking into 80s. What’s the best place to get an m16a1 profiled 80? Anyone sell them other than nodak? My google search just kept showing a2 profiles. Where’s the best place to buy just standard a2 profiles as well? What kind of tooling is involved? Just the jig kit and a drill press? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm curious as to what you mean by "profile".
    I didn't think there was a "profile" difference between an M16 nd an AR15 lower, unless you're talking about the extra hole.

If that is the case, I didn't think it was legal to manufacture your own class III firearms, even if they are "only for you".

Please explain.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Are you asking if you can machine your 80% lower to accept the full auto m16 type fire control group?

Yes it can be done, if you have a milling machine, NO IT NOT LEGAL.....DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT......

It is not legal any way you look at it.....

There are some good 80% lowers and jigs out there, but, at the cost of a finished unit.....I won't do one.....couple hundred in a fixture, plus tooling, plus the lower......

Keep it legal

Aaron

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think he means the lowers that were made without the fence around the mag release and a few other subtle cosmetic bits.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Most cost effective way to get an M16a1 look would be to find a standard lower with minimal logos and remove the fencing and reinforced areas carefully. Then try to match the color close with your M16a1 upper - but it doesn't have to be a perfect match.

It should be a fun project. Now it has my mind turning on to it. Thanks kpquinn

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Not full auto no hahaha. No way. Fully aware of nfa laws as I’m 8 stamps into it. I guess I should’ve been more descriptive. A1 profile as in certain features of the receiver differ. Not as old as one with no fence around mag release but you’re on the right path with that. The main differences are the section below the buffer tube threads and the front pivot pin area is slightly different. Wanting to use an a1 over a standard a2 for the purpose of replicating a specific firearm. I would post pics but since photobucket grew a small short nicely trimmed mustache, I no longer know how to unless someone can help me out there. Thanks guys.

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    I’m not sure. You mean complete stripped lowers or 80s? I think I’ve seen completes from Fulton. Brownells sells a nice a1 profile complete but I’d rather not have the brownells marking on it since I’ll have it engraved. Only 80% a1 profile I’ve seen so far has been from nodak spud. Was just seeing if anyone else has seen them in the wild.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I’m not sure. You mean complete stripped lowers or 80s? I think I’ve seen completes from Fulton. Brownells sells a nice a1 profile complete but I’d rather not have the brownells marking on it since I’ll have it engraved. Only 80% a1 profile I’ve seen so far has been from nodak spud. Was just seeing if anyone else has seen them in the wild.

IIRC the Brownells A1 lowers come from Nodak Spud. Maybe look in that direction? In fact, a quick look on their website shows they sell 80% A1 lowers, in the white. NoDak Spud Retro Lowers

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hopefully, you’ll have better luck with Nodak on an AR, as many had with the later Nodak spud AK receivers? I have a Fuller AK built on a Nodak spud, that is proof proper of a quality build. But I also know of Nodak receivers being out of spec, enough that they couldn’t be beaten into submission. ARs may be different, but...?

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Correct. I have nothing against the brownells a1 lower, just want it blank because I’m putting my own engraving on it. I’m aware of the nodak spud a1 receivers as stated above. I was looking to see if anyone has seen any a1 lowers from other companies. Price seems rather high for an 80%. Guess you gotta pay to play. Looking like my only avenue is going to be nodak.

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Hopefully, you’ll have better luck with Nodak on an AR, as many had with the later Nodak spud AK receivers? I have a Fuller AK built on a Nodak spud, that is proof proper of a quality build. But I also know of Nodak receivers being out of spec, enough that they couldn’t be beaten into submission. ARs may be different, but...?

ive heard of this as well, which is another point. They have a disclaimer on their site about fitment. I believe with an 80% a lot of the work is dependent on who’s building it as well just an ak reciever flat but then again even if you do your part perfect there could still be issues with wobble and what not. Guess that’s possible with any 80% though.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Precision reflex and centurion arms do 80% a1 now, or wait for a nodak spud. I use the brownells for now but that's because I had them and have not had the time to mill out more lowers, this winter I will, but good luck getting them anodized in 100% form

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Awesome! Thanks. That’s the info I was looking for. Centurion is local to me as well. Gonna shoot them an email. Not too worried about anodizing as this will be krylon coated for the build.

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Looking like I’ll be going with pri. It’s cheaper than the others and comes anodized. So it’s a no brainer. The worn in look is to be desired. Only problem is once it wears through it would look odd without black underneath. Pri is reputable. I’ll probably buy the jig from them as well as I believe they’ll stand behind it if I have issues over some kit I pick up at the 1500.

Top Bottom