Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

80% m16a1 lowers?

Looking into getting into the 80% thing possibly. Completely green to the concept. Iíve never had interest till now. Mainly for an m16a1 profiled lower but would more than likely dabble in the a2 platform as well. Would rather not have the markings that the brownells a1 lower has so I started looking into 80s. Whatís the best place to get an m16a1 profiled 80? Anyone sell them other than nodak? My google search just kept showing a2 profiles. Whereís the best place to buy just standard a2 profiles as well? What kind of tooling is involved? Just the jig kit and a drill press? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

ďA man's got to do what a man's got to do.Ē John Wayne

I'm curious as to what you mean by "profile".
    I didn't think there was a "profile" difference between an M16 nd an AR15 lower, unless you're talking about the extra hole.

If that is the case, I didn't think it was legal to manufacture your own class III firearms, even if they are "only for you".

Please explain.
    NRA Instructor/Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Are you asking if you can machine your 80% lower to accept the full auto m16 type fire control group?

Yes it can be done, if you have a milling machine, NO IT NOT LEGAL.....DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT......

It is not legal any way you look at it.....

There are some good 80% lowers and jigs out there, but, at the cost of a finished unit.....I won't do one.....couple hundred in a fixture, plus tooling, plus the lower......

Keep it legal

Aaron

I think he means the lowers that were made without the fence around the mag release and a few other subtle cosmetic bits.

Quote Originally Posted by LEaSH View Post
    I think he means the lowers that were made without the fence around the mag release and a few other subtle cosmetic bits.
    Well then, if that's the case, in my best Rosanne Rosanna-Dana voice, "Nevermind"
    NRA Instructor/Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Most cost effective way to get an M16a1 look would be to find a standard lower with minimal logos and remove the fencing and reinforced areas carefully. Then try to match the color close with your M16a1 upper - but it doesn't have to be a perfect match.

It should be a fun project. Now it has my mind turning on to it. Thanks kpquinn ��

Not full auto no hahaha. No way. Fully aware of nfa laws as I’m 8 stamps into it. I guess I should’ve been more descriptive. A1 profile as in certain features of the receiver differ. Not as old as one with no fence around mag release but you’re on the right path with that. The main differences are the section below the buffer tube threads and the front pivot pin area is slightly different. Wanting to use an a1 over a standard a2 for the purpose of replicating a specific firearm. I would post pics but since photobucket grew a small short nicely trimmed mustache, I no longer know how to unless someone can help me out there. Thanks guys.

Kp, don't Fulton Armory and James River both market A1 lowers?

An INGOer who has never been banned from a mall

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast