• purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    DPMS 308 Recon G1.
    Kynshot hydraulic recoil buffer
    New low profile mid length gas block and gas line (gunsmith installed) installed in 2016.
    Issue: The rifle appears to be under gassed. I am getting soft primer strikes every other round. Using the forward assist between rounds allows the rifle to fire. I changed out the recoil buffer spring (OEM vs. JP), changed out the buffer (OEM vs Kynshot) and no improvement. I used multiple magazines (DMPS, metal vs Magpul) along with different ammunition manufacturers (PMS, American Eagle, and some Colt Russian).
    The rifle has great accuracy considering the price range it falls into, and while the VEPR .308-23" is my long distance, shoot any ammo type rifle, I like having the carbine length rifle. I have looked at any place the BCG might be getting hung up on the return travel and don't see any marks or indicators. The gunsmith in Greenwood head spaced the rifle when he replaced the gas tube/block. Otherwise, the rifle is currently not reliable. I am considering getting a Fulton Armory Titan series complete upper and going away from DPMS all together.
    I would like to know if there is a gunsmith in the Lafayette or Indianapolis area that others have used who could put the rifle through its paces and see if I can keep this rifle. I do like it. Thank you.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The rifle appears undergassed......how did you come to that conclusion?
    The gunsmith head spaced the rifle when he intalled the gas block and tube.....find a new smith cause I'm almost certain he didn't unless he's installing barrel extensions
    If you're truly getting light strikes then inspect the firing pin and possibly try another trigger group

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    The original issue was the soft primer strikes and the last round was not keeping the bolt open.
    He may have used the Go/No Go gauges but I know for a fact that he checked it. He is reputable.
    After installing the new gas tube and block, the last round bolt open is operational but I am still finding issues with the soft primer strike. Using the forward assist after the first round fires eliminates this issue but without it, after firing the first round going into battery, the second round soft primer strikes. How would changing out the Timney trigger eliminate this?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Is your hammer spring installed properly?

Has the bcg been dropped?

Could be a bent carrier key, or misshaped gas tube.

Headspacing doesn't matter, unless barrel was replaced. Even then, it's not really an issue, unless it was custom chambered.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'd throw in another complete BCG and see what happens.
    Stick the barrel on the flash hider and drop the bcg in and see if it's sitting all the way in.
    If it's not dropping all the way down I'd check the gas tube and tube alignment.
    I guess it could be sticking on the ejection port area or anywhere for that matter. Just check to make sure the bcg is going down smooth.
    I heard of a hammer interfering with bcg travel but that was only hear say.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Is this a new problem or an issue since the gas block was installed in 2016?

As for DPMS, I have had several of there uppers. No issues.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had similar issues with my .308
    New hammer spring.
    Did some serious chamber cleaning. The gun was not new when I got it.
    Opened up the gas port in the barrel.
    Runs just peachy now.

I am having issues with a 5.56 I just completed. It fires 1st round, clears the spent casing but fails to cycle back far enough to strip the next round from the mag.
    Not looked into yet.

Top Bottom