• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    After a long search, I have found someone within an hour's drive from Indy that will hot blue guns! The guy's name is Jake Shackleford and his shop is in Losantville which is close to Hagarsville. He is very detail oriented and I have seen some of his work which was awesome. He is a gunsmith and restores old firearms. His phone number is 765-312-2911.

Brian

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    FWIW, I've switched to using Formula 44/40 instant gun blue. I've used it to touch up spots & even reblue (nearly black) an old 1978 Uberti 22WMR Cattleman.

I use Q-tips &/or cotton balls wetted with the solution (wear gloves). Keep the swab moving or the blueing agent will leave tiny droplets and cause a dark spot to develop. When the metal starts to darken switch to water on a cotton ball to stop the blueing. Rinse and repeat 3-4 times. Any existing spot or discoloration before you start will be there when you are done.

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    Cold bluing compared to hot bluing is like comparing painting a car with a rattle can versus using auto paint. Just my opinion...

I know it isn't as good as hot bluing but it's a 100$ gun not really worth paying to have it done. Kinda like my first work truck it got a rattle can paint job didn't look to bad ether

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    FWIW, I've switched to using Formula 44/40 instant gun blue. I've used it to touch up spots & even reblue (nearly black) an old 1978 Uberti 22WMR Cattleman.

I use Q-tips &/or cotton balls wetted with the solution (wear gloves). Keep the swab moving or the blueing agent will leave tiny droplets and cause a dark spot to develop. When the metal starts to darken switch to water on a cotton ball to stop the blueing. Rinse and repeat 3-4 times. Any existing spot or discoloration before you start will be there when you are done.

Should I polish to a high shine before bluing or will it not take as well when i polished my triggers and feed ramps with 2500grit paper it comes out like a mirror finish

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Any inconsistency in color before applying the cold blue will be just as noticeable afterwards.

I took my Cattleman all the way apart so didn't get any onto the brass. I don't think it would do anything to brass but I'm not sure. The chemical is formulated to react with steel.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    I do not do any finishing work, but I do use touch-up bluing. I have tried several with so-so results. I tried the 44-40 that was suggested earlier by Hop and I am pleased with the results. It is a very dark blue and applies easily.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    i tried rust bluing for the first time a few weeks back. I'd been putting it off for months because I was concerned about how involved/difficult the process would be. I'd read online many dire warnings about incomplete oil removal from the part, contamination of the solution due to poor handling, pitting of the metal due to excessively long rust cycle, etc.

I finally screwed up my courage to give it a shot. Turned out, its really pretty simple. And the finish is beautiful! Wish now that I had something else to try it on.

Top Bottom