• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I've built a few AR's and switched out some parts in a couple pistols, but everything was drop in... This was my first go with a project that things could go seriously south! I wanted something my wife and kids could plink and deer hunt with. I wasn't sure what I was going to do until I walked into Academy Sports and saw Savage was offering $100 rebate! An axis .308 combo came home with me for $299. I shortened the stock a little over an inch, and took 5.5" off the barrel. Replaced the scope bases with a 1 piece and added some decent rings I bought from Gander for pennies on the dollar when they went under. The weaver scope was replaced with a Vortex Diamondback that Academy had previously dang near paid me to take (89.99 with a $50 gift card with purchase offer). The scope and rings will be saved for a .22 at some point... The trigger pull was lightened follow youtube videos. I'm going to put a base coat of light tan on it. My wife kids will get it on Christmas and will put the final touches on it with paint and texture. All said and done, I'll be into this rifle for right at $250. Will hand-load for it with reduced loads to help get acquainted to something bigger than a .22.

A huge shout out to member Easy! He lent me his barrel squaring and crown kit from the loaner program on here.

Stock:

Stock shortened with miter saw:

Butt pad trimmed:

Butt pad rough shaped:

Butt pad shaped and glued in:

Barrel marked with zip tie:

Barrel cut with hack saw:

Rough cut:

Squaring up:

Crown started:

Final crown:

Ready for final cleaning and paint:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Check that trigger HARD. Do not skimp on how hard you drop the rifle or run the bolt or slam it shut.

The penalty for being wrong with trigger work can be extreme.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Just a pleasant surprise and an annoyance. The stock was easier to shorten than expected. I went in thinking I would have to fill in the end after trimming with wood to be able to attach a recoil pad. Instead my harbor freight bench top belt sander did the trick in reshaping the factory one. Aside from that, just one annoyance. I was a little annoyed that a one piece scope base I had for a SA model 10 wouldn’t work on it.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to finishing it out with the wife and kids. The kit Easy lent was fantastic. Very easy to use and did a great job! Saved me a lot of headache being able to do it myself.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Great to hear the loaner tools thread at least gets a little use... I was worried that it wouldn't get much use because I made the rules too long/complicated (it appears some people skipped over them anyways).

Top Bottom