• ...and so much more!
  • LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Hello friends,

I’ve got a Custom 1911 that is acting up on me.

This happened once before and I thought it may have been a fluke, but today at MCFG it happened several times in a row while shooting steel.

5” Government Springfield 1911 .45ACP

When firing, occasionally the hammer will only return to half-cock and needs to be cocked again in order to fire.
    (OR Returns to full cock and PROCEEDS to half cock while I still have the trigger depressed.)
    This happens 1-2 times per magazine.

After 5-6 magazines of trying to diagnose this problem, I got a Double-Fire (1 trigger pull, 2 rounds fired and cycled in a row); upon the second round firing, the gun returned to Condition 0 with rounds still in the magazine.

After this, I put it down and switched to my Glock.

Is this a Sear/Connector issue? Where should I start looking?

I’ve never had a single problem with this gun in 1,000 rounds or so; and have carried this with confidence a lot.

This is very new.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

~LT3

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hmmmm. Same ammo in all failures or different ammo same issue.
    5-6 mags meaning different mags or 5 reloads of same mag.

Sounds like I am picking on the description of issue but we need to rule out these issues since it went 1k with no issues now issues. If would be different if 10k rounds but 1k should not be a part failure

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Different Magazines. Different Ammo. It malfunctioned with 7 round Springfield Mags, an 8 round WC mag, brass cased WWB, Aluminum Cased Federal, And Steel Cased Tulammo.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I had a Kimber do this same thing. I had to have the hammer and sear replaced. I had the complete fire control group replaced with good steel parts. The MIM **** had to go to the trash bin.
    It ran fine after that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When firing, occasionally the hammer will only return to half-cock and needs to be cocked again in order to fire.
    (OR Returns to full cock and PROCEEDS to half cock while I still have the trigger depressed.)
    This happens 1-2 times per magazine.

Hammer follow is not unusual, especially on guns that have had trigger work done on them.

Since you're asking this question, I think your best bet is to have a competent 1911 smith (like allenm) fit a new hammer, sear, disconnector, and sear spring to your gun using premium quality parts.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like a issues with something in the trigger group. Worn out hammer, sear, sear spring, or disconnector. AllenM would be who I would take it to. He is the man when it comes to 1911's.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sounds like a issues with something in the trigger group. Worn out hammer, sear, sear spring, or disconnector. AllenM would be who I would take it to. He is the man when it comes to 1911's.

Yea, Allen is more than competent on these.
    Milspec means little now days. Tolerances are well past the stacking point at times and you don't get a lot of lee way when you start playing with them.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    The entire FCG including the Hammer, Grip Safety, and Trigger are Wilson Combat. Is it possible that something is “out of adjustment” or does it sound like parts need replaced?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The entire FCG including the Hammer, Grip Safety, and Trigger are Wilson Combat. Is it possible that something is “out of adjustment” or does it sound like parts need replaced?

Even Wilson makes some "IFFY" parts. They've got a couple of different quality grades.

I'd go to basics ... clean, inspect closely, check assembly, and properly lube. I've seen a dirty slide track do stupid stuff. Lots of "Maybe" stuff without hands on.
    I'm NOT above taking my guns to a quality person to have them worked on. I can do all this (Except machine work) but I'm really not in the mood any more.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When I look at fixing a gun that was known to work well I always start with what is different this time from when it ran correctly.
    Ammo, mag's, add on's, weather, cleaning routine, even clothing.
    Easiest to take out of the equation.

Then the exam. Total breakdown and clean. Exam all parts. Making sure everything is installed correctly. Nothing broken. Looking for wear marks or any tell tale signs of something not Right. I would expect to hit 2k rounds in first year would not be uncommon so within the year it would be sent back to factory.

Maybe be I have been very lucky few guns purchased have had any major issues even after lots of shooting. Those that did were kind of my issue in enjoying an auto pistol in 22 mag. The two just don't seem to work well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hammer follow is a result of Sear/hammer/spring function most times.

Question....you say "Custom" meaning what. How much work was done and by whom. Did they work with the MIM ignition parts or install new forged bits. This is important.

Is the trigger "Lightened" up. This is important.

Do not run it again until you have it looked at.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Newly cut and installed FCG parts will wear in a bit, that is why I set them to about 2.25 pounds and expect it to settle in after a while to 2 pounds. What you are experiencing is a questionable trigger job install. It worked for a while then settled in to unsatisfactory specs. What is the current pull weight of the trigger? If it is low, then adjusting the sear spring for more tension can provide a bit of a fix - IF the parts were correctly prepped and cut. If the problem is poor sear and hammer hook engagement, you are only putting a band-aid on the problem. Nonetheless, hammer drop to half-cock (a designed safety feature) and hammer follow firing additional rounds is DANGEROUS and needs to be corrected.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    OP:

Listen to these guys.

I'd start with a sear spring adjustment or replacement. Take to Allen if that doesn't work.

Hammer follow is a result of Sear/hammer/spring function most times.

Question....you say "Custom" meaning what. How much work was done and by whom. Did they work with the MIM ignition parts or install new forged bits. This is important.

Is the trigger "Lightened" up. This is important.

Do not run it again until you have it looked at.

Newly cut and installed FCG parts will wear in a bit, that is why I set them to about 2.25 pounds and expect it to settle in after a while to 2 pounds. What you are experiencing is a questionable trigger job install. It worked for a while then settled in to unsatisfactory specs. What is the current pull weight of the trigger? If it is low, then adjusting the sear spring for more tension can provide a bit of a fix - IF the parts were correctly prepped and cut. If the problem is poor sear and hammer hook engagement, you are only putting a band-aid on the problem. Nonetheless, hammer drop to half-cock (a designed safety feature) and hammer follow firing additional rounds is DANGEROUS and needs to be corrected.

Top Bottom