• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Does anyone else use this for their cleaning needs. Ive been using this for the past yr and have found this to be an excellent cleaning product.

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS
    #64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or
    equivalent, (aka "Varsol")

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've used it on some guns with caution, anything with 25% Acetone is going to be hard on some wood stock finishes.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Kroil is great stuff except for the smell. Been using same can four years now. After it runs out have a gallon of Marvel to work on and a case of Pyroil.

Like the idea of the Ed Red but having to buy all that stuff, mix and store it has turned me off. I do a lot of engine repair and use what I have on hand. Marvel can also be mixed in crank cases and fuel.

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    I use Eds Red for lead and carbon fouling and does a good job. No rust showing up on my less often used guns. Yes, you do need to watch acetone and wood finishes.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I like kroil with JB bore paste for my bolt guns. I was told a long time ago by a Benchrest shooter it was the way to go. Old Joe was right and had stacks of one hole groups to prove it. His directions: line up ten patches with a light smear of JB and add a few drops of Kroil. 10 passes per patch from chamber to muzzle. Run a clean patch with just kroil between patches of oil and JB. It polished the rifling and cuts copper fouling down to next to nothing. Never had an issue with fouling and rifles seem to shoot great groups. That one can of JB has lasted for years too!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I like kroil with JB bore paste for my bolt guns. I was told a long time ago by a Benchrest shooter it was the way to go. Old Joe was right and had stacks of one hole groups to prove it. His directions: line up ten patches with a light smear of JB and add a few drops of Kroil. 10 passes per patch from chamber to muzzle. Run a clean patch with just kroil between patches of oil and JB. It polished the rifling and cuts copper fouling down to next to nothing. Never had an issue with fouling and rifles seem to shoot great groups. That one can of JB has lasted for years too!

This is indeed a good method for cleaning well fouled bores and those with a pronounced carbon ring in particular. I would most definitely not use this method as a regular cleaning method as it will undoubtedly shorten the barrel life.

I cannot recommend Wipeout foaming bore cleaner strongly enough. My .308 has north of 4000 rounds through it, has never seen a metal brush and Wipeout has cleaned it down to bare metal with ease for years. Foam and a patch does precious little damage. I'd reserve the abrasives for tough cases.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I use Eds Red for everything. Never an issue.

I kinda have an issue (queer) for cleaning and lubes products and only use Eds Red and Mobil1.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I cannot recommend Wipeout foaming bore cleaner strongly enough. My .308 has north of 4000 rounds through it, has never seen a metal brush and Wipeout has cleaned it down to bare metal with ease for years. Foam and a patch does precious little damage. I'd reserve the abrasives for tough cases.

How often do you use this? By round count, visual inspection, range trip, calendar, accuracy symptoms?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How often do you use this? By round count, visual inspection, range trip, calendar, accuracy symptoms?

I generally don't clean a rifle bore until I see accuracy start to drop off. This varies with each rifle, the smoother the bore (less tooling marks/imperfections) the more rounds they'll typically handle between cleanings. I'll wipe the grime off of the bolt and out of the receiver and put fresh grease in from time to time but I prefer a dirty bore, I find them to be more consistent. Whenever I do clean the bore I like to put ten rounds through it immediately after and before putting the rifle away.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    I agree with Phylodog, use the wipe out whenever accuracy falls off. Save the JB and Kroil for the detail cleaning every now and then. I have one rifle that needs cleaned at around 500 rounds and even then it gets wipe out. I have 5k on that barrel and its only seen the JB and Kroil 3x.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So you guys are telling me good practice is to have that (expensive) can of Wipeout sitting around waiting for when accuracy issues show?

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    Well looky there, the man who turned me on to Wipeout makes an appearance!! Welcome to INGO my friend!

Lol thanks for the welcome brother! I have been a long time lurker here, I just decided to recently register.

BW, I just keep a log and I know when I start to approach 500 rounds I will need to clean. I let the Wipe Out set over night and I just push the crud with a patch the next morning. I do use Ed' Red on my blasters/plinkers but my accuracy rifles get the tender loving care of wipe out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lol thanks for the welcome brother! I have been a long time lurker here, I just decided to recently register.

BW, I just keep a log and I know when I start to approach 500 rounds I will need to clean. I let the Wipe Out set over night and I just push the crud with a patch the next morning. I do use Ed' Red on my blasters/plinkers but my accuracy rifles get the tender loving care of wipe out.

Thank you sir! I just started the log that I have not been keeping.
    Also put the can of Wipeout in my Midway cart to wait on the next sale. Midway's price on Wipeout is half of Amazons?

Is 500 rounds a go by figure you use for all guns or is it gun specific on when a certain gun has started falling off in accuracy?

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    Every barrel is different and you are going to have to find the round count where accuracy falls off. I have another barrel that starts to puke at 325, both are after market match barrels. The blasters I dont keep track of...

Top Bottom