• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a G30sf that's a nice little carry gun with one exception. It ejects just about every case straight into my face. It's amazingly consistent in it's placement, but it's placement of brass sucks. It's got just under 500 rounds through it and it did not used to be this bad. To try to fix this, I've cleaned and lubed the gun with no difference. I took a burr off of the ejector that looked like it could have been causing an issue, with no difference seen. I pulled the ejector and polished the sides, cleaned it and took a couple of thousandths off of the pad that lets the claw grab the case with a bit more authority. No difference.

Is there anything I'm missing or is it time to send this one to Glock to let them sort it out? I bought this one new about 2 years ago and it would be one of my better carry guns if I behaved a bit better.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Some claim that the apex ejector fixes it. My gen4 G34 has BTF more often than my G19's. The 34 gives it to me in the forehead and top of the head about 2-3 times out of each mag. My carry 19's maybe once on top of head every couple hundred rds. It's a real pain to deal with when it's real frequent occurrence
    ETA: The 34 has gotten better the more I shoot it

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm up to about 500 rounds I think and it seems to have gotten worse in mine. I've surfed the Apex website and don't see an extractor listed for the 21/30 series. If I had not bought this one brand new, I'd be more than happy to throw money at it but I might give Glock's CS a shot at this one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Some claim that the apex ejector fixes it. My gen4 G34 has BTF more often than my G19's. The 34 gives it to me in the forehead and top of the head about 2-3 times out of each mag. My carry 19's maybe once on top of head every couple hundred rds. It's a real pain to deal with when it's real frequent occurrence
    ETA: The 34 has gotten better the more I shoot it

Apex does not make ejectors, but rather extractors for Glocks, and none for the 45's that I am aware of.

I'm up to about 500 rounds I think and it seems to have gotten worse in mine. I've surfed the Apex website and don't see an extractor listed for the 21/30 series. If I had not bought this one brand new, I'd be more than happy to throw money at it but I might give Glock's CS a shot at this one.

It has been a while since I dealt with this, but on my 19 that exhibited the issue somewhat, I believe it was my Gen 3, I put a Gen 4 Ejector in it, and I changed out the spring loaded bearing for a non LCI model, but did not change the extractor, and I think it helped. My brother had the issue bad and he swapped several parts, (think it was the Apex extractor, Gen 4 ejector and the spring loaded bearing) to get it to an acceptable level.

When I had a Glock 21 and 30, mine were much older and before the BTF issues started showing up in the Glock 19's. I'm not sure I have read or seen much on the 45's having the issue. It seems like the reports of the issue overall faded with time a bit too, so not sure if it was just a parts tolerance issue in some of Glocks. In my brother's case it sure seemed like it was a stacking of part fit up, as I know he was pretty scientific about it and changed a part at a time and also indicated, if I recall correctly that it would follow the slide around when he changed it from one Gen 3 to another to some extent.

With your pistol being a 45, and purchased new, etc and it not being a primary carry, it might be worth sending to Glock. You might also have NHT3 take a look and see if he has any recommendations as well or sees anything particularly troublesome.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lock-old-extractors-new-gen4.html#post6224374

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/337047-glock-gen-4-a-3.html#post4964042

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Everything man made is subject to have problems. Strangely, Glock owners tend to be the only one's who aren't so insecure that they feel the need to troll threads about other manufacturers.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not a Glock guy. If anything, I'm a CZ/1911 guy, but I own and carry Glocks because they are a reliable, solid carry choice. BC, there's no need to be an ******** in a thread that's just seeking some info and ideas.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Get in touch with Glock or a local armorer. I think glock made an updated extractor that fixed it in the 9mm guns, but not sure about 45's.
    You could try an aftermarket extractor and see if that cures it. Probably wouldn't cost much

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    BTF? Brass to the face?

Is this such a common thing that we have a shorthand for it now?

QFT

Yep, it was a common occurrence a few years back on newly manufactured guns at that time. Haven't seen it reported as much recently with recent manufactured guns, so not sure if that means it occurs less or folks just "got used to it".

zx7rcatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Madison area
    Get in touch with Glock or a local armorer. I think glock made an updated extractor that fixed it in the 9mm guns, but not sure about 45's.
    You could try an aftermarket extractor and see if that cures it. Probably wouldn't cost much

You are correct, I have a friend who bought an early Gen4 19, ejected the brass right into your forehead. Glock mailed a new extractor to his gunsmith free of charge.

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    I have a G30sf that's a nice little carry gun with one exception. It ejects just about every case straight into my face. It's amazingly consistent in it's placement, but it's placement of brass sucks. It's got just under 500 rounds through it and it did not used to be this bad. To try to fix this, I've cleaned and lubed the gun with no difference. I took a burr off of the ejector that looked like it could have been causing an issue, with no difference seen. I pulled the ejector and polished the sides, cleaned it and took a couple of thousandths off of the pad that lets the claw grab the case with a bit more authority. No difference.

Is there anything I'm missing or is it time to send this one to Glock to let them sort it out? I bought this one new about 2 years ago and it would be one of my better carry guns if I behaved a bit better.

I would probably take it by your local gun store and use it as trade in value on a sig that should fix the problem
    . Lol

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Everything man made is subject to have problems. Strangely, Glock owners tend to be the only one's who aren't so insecure that they feel the need to troll threads about other manufacturers.

In fairness, when you use "perfection" as your marketing you sort of invite those comments when your pistols are problematic.

OP, I'm well outside my wheel house on how to fix it, but BTF is a relatively common complaint with some Glocks. Take a look at this (which is geared toward the 9mm) and see if it helps you. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread...-to-Work-fixes-for-Gen4-Glock-9mm-issues-quot

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm beginning to suspect the issue is ammo related. I've run a box of my .45 carry ammo through it and it performs consistently and correctly with all brass ejected to the right and about 4' away. I have been running the gun with reloads that function fine in everything else, so had not really considered the ammo angle before. Before the range trip this morning, I made a batch of range ammo that was upped a tenth of a grain and there was a difference. With my standard range ammo of an X-treme 230g plated bullet over 4.6g of Titegroup, I get about 80% BTF. At 4.7g, I'm at about 40% based on a small test sample. 185g +P Golden Sabers run perfectly, so maybe this gun just likes hot ammo.

BTW, I picked up a second G30sf and while the gun did better than the first, it still had the issue. I ran into NTF3 out at PB and he checked and found the recoil assembly on my original gun is marginal. The second gun was Ok and when we switched the good RSA into the original gun, it improved the pattern. It did not eliminate it, but it was definitely better. That one also is perfect with SD ammo.

Top Bottom