• ...and so much more!
  • aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Combination Post here.

I have one of the first Sig P320-X5's out there, and it came with an uncoated stainless barrel. They later changed to a nice black DLC coating. I've been tempted to do a TiN coating like some custom Glock barrels use, and I think STI uses it as well. I couldn't really find a good company until I came across Brazen Firearms out of Ohio. Prices were good, and reviews were great. I sent them the barrel and tungsten guide rod out of my gun, had them back in about two weeks. Coating is done great, and I expect it to hold up decent. This is purely a cosmetic mod for me, but maybe some of the grime that gets on the barrel will wipe off easier.

https://www.facebook.com/BrazenFirearms/

Second up, was Alma Cole (USPSA shooter) who did some grip work for me. Well known on the Enos forums for his work. I sent him my frame, and again in about two weeks I had it back. He lightly dremels down the frame, and epoxies some silicon carbide in place of the factory texturing. I was previously running some skate tape grip, but wanted something less bulky and more permanent. Turned out great, and price was $100.

https://www.facebook.com/AlmaColeShooting/

Pictures:

oLUZW7l.jpg

gIaDToL.jpg

HQxJdgC.jpg

RGNJRa3.jpg

dsphVEG.jpg

egr2FhU.jpg

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Shoot that thing a while then post up some pictures of how that coating holds up. Really curious! Is gold the only available color?

Oh yeah, ricer! :):

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Shoot that thing a while then post up some pictures of how that coating holds up. Really curious! Is gold the only available color?

Gold or black.

I put 200rds through it yesterday. Came home, sprayed with gun cleaner (I use M7) and everything wiped right off. No part of the coating had worn off or "seen better days" so I was happy. Even the feed ramp looked freshly coated.

I'll report back after 1000rds.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

TiN is a gold coating; I think any other color would be some abomination of trying to dye it another color. It's not like a gunkote etc that has pigments in it, it's a chemical compound and the color you get is the color you get. The most common place you'll find it is on TiN drill-bits (the gold ones). It's highly resistant to wear as long as the forces involved don't exceed the ability of the underlying metal to hold up.

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Nice write-up! I was on the fence about having Alma do my frame, but you just convinced me. Wish I hadn’t wasted the money on grip tape that didn’t last one dry fire session.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Nice write-up! I was on the fence about having Alma do my frame, but you just convinced me. Wish I hadn’t wasted the money on grip tape that didn’t last one dry fire session.

My grip tape held up, but I ordered a few of them I'll never use. I didn't send my gun to Alma initially because I didn't want much downtime, but I was without my frame less than two weeks total.

You won't be disappointed, he does a fantastic job.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How's the silica carbide grip holding up? I've been talking to Alma on Benos and am contemplating trying it on my own as he has a video posted where he makes it look very easy. Figure if I screw it up I'm only out $40.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Go to the hardware store and buy some no slip stair tape or some skateboard tape from the local skateboard shop. You can cut it with scissors but when you're done you may as well just toss those scissors in the trash.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    How's the silica carbide grip holding up? I've been talking to Alma on Benos and am contemplating trying it on my own as he has a video posted where he makes it look very easy. Figure if I screw it up I'm only out $40.

I've done two local indoor USPSA matches, and two regular range sessions. I'm just mad I didn't do it earlier.

Alma does it so good that it seriously looks factory. That's really the only reason I sent it to him..

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis

My grips are about 2 years old since Alma did the silicone carbide to them. Both look like the day I got the from him. It holds up really well. My only regret is not going with the more aggressive grit silicone carbide on the first 2 grips he did for me.

Top Bottom