• ...and so much more!
  • Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Hello all,

A little over a year ago my grandfather passed away and my father left me in possession of one of his rifles.

According to him the rifle was my great-grandfathers purchased after he returned from WWI as a civilian sporter because he enjoyed the rifle in the war. He passed away when he was young and my grandfather made a cedar box for it and hardly touched it. It's a Gew98 8mm Mauser dated 1916 Danzig, all numbers matching, in a sporter stock (not a chopped military stock). I'm not sure what the rifle looked like originally.

On it is a Pacific S.F. CA peep sight that is in really rough shape, and a Redfield blade front sight. The peep sight doesn't seem like it was designed for the rifle as it is set way left with scratch marks to show where the center is. The factory center on the peep sight is way right of the bore. I'm looking at replacing the peep sight with a Williams FP-98 but I am concerned that the tapped holes and/or threading might be different.

The holes on the receiver from center to center are almost exactly 0.6 inch. I can't seem to find information on what the Williams would require.

Would someone more knowledgeable be able to direct me on Williams info or identifying compatibility?

Thank you in advance.

ASsB7cg.jpg
    xTDP6hr.jpg
    Enj655y.jpg
    MNmkZIt.jpg
    vu1AMd0.jpg

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For the best, hands on, been there, done that experience, take it up to Churubusco and show it to Jerry Johnson. He won't lead you the wrong way. He might even install the correct parts. If he can find them....

260-693-1902

I have driven up to Williams more than once to get sights squared away on a variety of butchered old rifles. Its about a 2 1/2 drive from Ft Wayne.

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    The fate of many Gew98 rifles and Kar98a carbines. Many vets brought them home and had them turned into sporters for hunting and shooting. The 1898 bolt action system was loved by many vets and hunters for its strength, reliability, speed of loading, and bolt action system. Anyway as for some history of your rifle it was made at the Royal arsenal in the city of Danzig in what is now part of Poland. Before that it was German territory as part of the Imperial German empire. Rifle was made in the year of 1916 which is a large production year for Danzig. But finding a really nice 1916 dated Gew98 is tough. Most saw alot of action that year. Battle of the Somme and Battle of Verdun too just name a few. The year of 1916 was a hard bloody year for all sides during the WW1. After the war was over the Danzig arsenal became French property by the Versailles Treaty, - the intention was to demilitarize it, turn it to commercial purposes and give it to the city Danzig. There are some records that the German government did take some of the machines from the factory back too Germany. But not is much known being most of the records are lost.

Top Bottom