Mad Max Mossberg 500A with extra special corrosion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Was poking around one of my favorite pawn shops today and came across an extra special Mossberg 500A in 12 GA. This one looks like it was stored in a salt marsh for years on end. Surface corrosion on the barrel and mag tube. Galvanic exfoliation corrosion on the receiver with a cracked stock. Extra special Dremel carving on the wood forearm. Safety is welded in the off-safe position from corrosion. Must be older than a 1968 model, because it has no serial number. The trigger guard/housing is plastic and looks newer than the rest of the gun. Minor corrosion on a few spots inside the barrel. The action does cycle fine with only minor corrosion on the bolt face. I suspect the previous owner stored it in one of those cheap naugahboo gun cases under a bed, or in a basement for decades. Barrel is 28" full choke. The tag says $150 on it. The sales guys are betting that no one will want to buy it.

I have bought several beater guns from this same shop and enjoy fixing them up. Have recently rebuilt two other Mossbergs and have the spare parts to repair all the mechanical issues. The finish is so bad, I am thinking I can clean off all the rust/corrosion and then paint it with truck bed liner. The barrel would get chopped to 19" with a fiber optic front sight. If I can get it for the right price, this might turn out to be a cheap trunk gun to haul around.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Good luck.
    Hopefully I will see you tomorrow at the show if you can trudge thru Frosty the snowman's illegitimate children. Buwahahaha!

BrianT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Butlerville
    Do some before and afters if you get it. I had one that went through a roof collapse in similar shape. We ended up polishing the entire gun.

Top Bottom