• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Do you want "clean enough" or do you want "spotless"? Because, in my experience, they almost require wholly different tools.

For spotless - you'll want coated 1-piece rods and, for long-guns, a rod guide to keep those suckers centered and off the crown (not as critical with coated rods as with bare brass).

For "good enough" - even those Otis snakes or a regular bore snake will be just fine. Maybe not fine for a heavy-use target gun - but fine for almost all other practical applications of said weapon.

For spotless - you'll want dedicated solvents, lubricants, and protectants.

For "good enough" - a GOOD CLP should suffice just fine.

Even for good enough - save the Rem oil for interior door hinges.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Is buying what you need separately an option? I have never found those kits to have what I need and are full of what I do not use. What kind of firearms are you cleaning?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Is buying what you need separately an option? I have never found those kits to have what I need and are full of what I do not use. What kind of firearms are you cleaning?

I buy separately also. Seems to be better that way. Just whatever you do get chemical wise, stick with it until you use it up before trying the latest, greatest. If you start reading too much, you will amass quite a collection of cleaning aids. Most that will be taking up shelf space. Ask me how I know.:)

After 50 years, I have stopped using Hoppes 9. I now use a CLP and carry some oil with me to the range in case I need to slick up a slide or something during the day.

Like TF says, what you use should be dependent on how clean you want it. I have done detail strip and cleans where I take the firearm down to each individual component and soak it in solvent, scrub it, then scrub it again with Dawn detergent to remove every trace of solvent, then oiled everything heavily and let it soak for some time before wiping off the excess. I think this is excessive.:nuts: But it makes for one shiny and slick firearm!

I use mostly snakes to clean bores. If I feel like I need to clean the bore more extensively, I'll use a 1-piece rod to scrub it out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom