• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stryguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Indiana
    I have a Second Gen Colt SAA that's nickle plated. As you can see the nickle plating is discolored and peeling in a few places on the cylinder and on the frame.

I want to shoot this gun, I want it's value to be retained and it to be visually appealing. I know, I want a lot!

So a few questions please:

1) Should I get the nickle plating fixed or will that ruin the value of the gun?
    2) What's the best way to continue cleaning the gun and not make the nickle plating continue to peel?

Side question:

The serial number on the bottom part of the frame is illegible. The serial number under the grips is 100% fine. Any concerns there?

I appreciate everyone's time.
    20180101_160452.jpg
    20180101_160506.jpg
    20180101_160519.jpg
    20180101_160530.jpg

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Believe the S/N only counts on the frame per the ATF

I assume when he says under the grip, he means on the grip frame. If so, I'd think he's good, assuming it is the one and real serial number of the firearm, and that the serial number on the area on frame the firearm was not obliterated and is just not easily readable due to wear. However, I am not a lawyer nor an ATF agent...

https://www.atf.gov/file/4881/download

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...rms-ammunition-firearms-verification-overview

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    2 gen Colt SAA, just keep enjoying shooting it and don't worry about the slow fail of the nickle. With these guns once you refinish some value is gone forever which is why all my first gen projects are already refinished guns. I don't want to take that hit in value just to clean something up.

stryguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Indiana
    Sorry I wasn't clear on my serial number issue.

An SAA can come apart into many pieces and each piece is apparently stamped with the entire serial or at least part of the serial. In the case of my gun this serial number is worn away to the point you can only read 1 number.
    http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/range-visit/SAA_Serial.jpg <- obviously not my gun

But then under the grip on the frame the serial number is again stamped and is legible.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Nickel is an elemental metal. A nickle is a U.S. coin. Nickel is a very non-durable finish. I would choose something else if you are going to go to the expense of a total refinish. Totally refinishing the gun is going to lower its collector value. It will be worth more with the original worn nickel.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Agreed with Leadeye, that's factory plating. Just shoot it as is, it may not be pristine but it's not bad enough to justify refinishing it.

Since it hasn't been mentioned here, don't use Hoppes #9 or anything else designed to attack copper on nickel plated guns.....just FYI in case you didn't know

stryguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Indiana
    Agreed with Leadeye, that's factory plating. Just shoot it as is, it may not be pristine but it's not bad enough to justify refinishing it.

Since it hasn't been mentioned here, don't use Hoppes #9 or anything else designed to attack copper on nickel plated guns.....just FYI in case you didn't know

I did not know, thank you for letting me know. I would have used Hoppes #9 after shooting it not knowing so thanks a lot.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom