Bedding a savage 110fcp hs( looking for pointers)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmaroman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    North Vernon
    So I've often thought of bedding many of my rifles for years now but it's not until owning this savage I feel I need to. No I'm not a competitor in anything but I do handload and shoot out to 1000 yards every now and again so I'm really looking to eliminate those odd fliers that seem to happen. Anyways this particular rifle has the aluminum bedding block in it so one of my questions is does this need to be pillar bedded it seems from what I read you just skim bed a rifle with aluminum bedding blocks? I find myself nervous about bedding it myself but I'm a competent person I know I can do it with the right direction. Hopefully you guys can point me there

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Rifles are not my forte, but I have bedded them before. I would differ to anyone with more experience and knowledge than me. Having said that, pillars serve a couple of purposes and one it to prevent compression of the stock material between the action and the head of the bolts when tightening. The aluminum block will do the same thing as pillars. Skim coat over the aluminum block and the rear of the recoil lug is all I have ever done. The goal is to have a barreled action that rests comfortably in the stock and is not affected by binding or other imposed stresses.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    There was a good thread on beding savages over on the savage shooter web sight, its what I used for my 10FP.
    I havent been over there in years though

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If your problem is elevation flyers at 1,000 yards it probably is not a bedding problem. It is an ammo or barrel problem. The way to tell that a barrel is done is uncalled elevation shots starting at 600 yards. Very few factory barrels can really cut it at 1,000 yards. They just are not good enough. I know they are very good these days but they can never match a Kreiger for consistency.

An action that is properly torqued into bedding blocks really should not need anything else.

BrianT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Butlerville
    I have a Stevens 200 in .270 that's the same way. The factory stock is awful, it's very easy to get it to flex and make contact with the barrel. It's a camo stock and I would love to keep it since this is a budget gun but I'm really not sure if it'll be worth the effort.

Top Bottom