Plinker

User Info Menu

Need advice on buffers and buffer tubes

I'm building an MK12-ish rifle. Heavy 18inch barrel with rifle length gas system, and I'm wondering if I really need to stick with the rifle buffer and tube are if I can use a carbine tube with it?

Plinker

User Info Menu

You can use a carbine buffer and spring with a rifle length system with no issue. Don't try mixing the springs and buffers around and you should be fine.

User Info Menu

You can use a carbine type set up on your rifle but you need to buy the RET for a collapsible carbine stock. A RET for a rifle stock will not work with carbine. The buffers and springs are different also between the 2

Marksman

User Info Menu

You can build a MK12 type rifle and use a carbine buffer tube and stock. Keep in mind there are 2 types of carbine buffer tubes, mil-spec and commercial. Mil-spec buffer tubes have an outside diameter of 1.148", while commercial-spec tubes are 1.168" in diameter. Determine what carbine stock you really want. Make sure your carbine stock and buffer tube are the same spec, either mil-spec or commercial. The buffers, springs and end plate are the same for both commercial and mil-spec buffer tubes.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Do some research on the Vltor A-5 system . It's a hybred between the carbine and rifle recoil set up . It is proprietary though.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Try a carbine system with carbine spring and a heavy buffer. You can use a rifle length gas system with a carbine buffer system. They are somewhat related but the gas and buffer systems can be different.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BIGE7.62 View Post
    Do some research on the Vltor A-5 system . It's a hybred between the carbine and rifle recoil set up . It is proprietary though.
    BCM offers the Vltor buffer with their extension tube and other parts as a kit ... https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...ediate-shk.htm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BIGE7.62 View Post
    The only thing proprietary are the buffers and RE. It uses a rifle length spring.
    "Eis Aner Oudeis Aner"