• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Remington 11-48 auto shotgun in 16 gauge.

I messed with the mag tube so it could hold four shells instead of two. I think I messed up putting everything back together, because while it accepts four shells it tries to dump all four shells when it's supposed to put out one.

I replaced the shell latch (the one on the left). Same deal. The carrier latch may be the problem but they're more expensive.

Any ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/SsMQp

Attachments

• IMG_20180112_161421.jpg
      IMG_20180112_161421.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 30

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    is it a sportsman?........did you grind the follower down?.....can you shove it back in and push the carrier up and take a pic so i can see in the shell feed hole?

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    is it a sportsman?........did you grind the follower down?.....can you shove it back in and push the carrier up and take a pic so i can see in the shell feed hole?

It is a sportsman. The follower wasn't ground, there are three dimples in the mag tube that I filed down though.

I will do that picture today!

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Did you put in a longer spring..??

Did you do anything in the receiver...???

I did not change the spring, but I did clean it a little.

I don't believe I did anything in the receiver, but given that it feeds incorrectly now it's possible I messed it up.somehow. after this started I replaced the "shell latch". Still the same issue.

Edit: to clarify its functioned beautifully for me since I got it.

Last edited:

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    If it worked fine before adjustment, then there's an assembly problem. Is there spring tension on the shell latch and carrier latch? When exactly does it dump all the shells into the receiver? As in, does it do it when you pull the charging handle to the rear, or does it do it when you are cycling the action more than once?

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    If it worked fine before adjustment, then there's an assembly problem. Is there spring tension on the shell latch and carrier latch? When exactly does it dump all the shells into the receiver? As in, does it do it when you pull the charging handle to the rear, or does it do it when you are cycling the action more than once?
    Good questions. So when you pull the handle back that's when it attempts to release a shell from the tube, but dumps everything.

The shell latch has good tension and seems to be doing it's job fine. The carrier latch feels "right" and has tension but I don't have a known good model to compare it to. I can actuate it with my hand. I am tempted to replace it, but they're about 20 bucks and a whole new receiver is only 60.

Edit: so without the barrel, the shell latch grabs the shells and won't let go, like it's supposed to. When the barrel recoils back, it pushes the shell latch out of the way. At that point, the carrier latch is probably supposed to grab the next shell, right?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    looks to me as your carrier latch is bent.....sticking out to far....the barrel is what holds it back....too put the barrel on it then take a pic fully assembled...

it doesn't grab the shell it just releases it and the mag spring shoves it back.....

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if it was setting here i could compare it to the ones i have.......i don't get how the plunger is getting past the mag tube.....mine have a lip that won't let it pass

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    if it was setting here i could compare it to the ones i have.......i don't get how the plunger is getting past the mag tube.....mine have a lip that won't let it pass

The follower? That's the same as it's been since I got it. Do you can any pics of your receiver? Even disassembled, as long as the carrier latch was there I could compare.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i just took all of mine apart(410,28,16,20,12) and none of the followers will get pass the end of the mag tube....the one in the pic where the follower it out none of mine look like that.....they are all black....

Top Bottom