• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County

Just got this moved in an bolted down tonight. Emco Maximat Compact MQ3100 made in Austria in about 1962. Everything tight with very very little wear. About a 1hp motor on the lathe and another on the mill. single phase 110. Cabinet enclosure we pick up tomorrow for the top. Apppr 24 inches between centers, partner said it can swing 10 inches over the ways. Weighs about 450 lbs.

Got a bunch of lathe tools, 2- 4 jaw chucks, nice Jacobs chuck, Emco vice, Rotary table. Mill has a #2 MT taper so gonna be buying some collets and end mills.

Tomorrow, we really dig into the cleaning the old gummy grease off, polishing it up and re-lubing it and making sure everything is indicated and trammed correctly.

I know nothing about machining except what I've seen in videos so far, my partner and mentor in this is a retired machinist with 30 years experience and lives 2 doors down the road. We went in half on the machine. He's gonna teach me machining, and I teach him computer things. :D Sometime in the future when I have a good handle on manual machining we plan on getting a compund table for the saddle and I'll convert that to at least a 2 axis CNC.

We both love guns and shooting and hopefully we can get into some parts making, and fixing and restoring some firearms. I know I wanna try a full profile comensator like Allen did for my 1911, and if I can get the prints, I've always wanted a sharps falling block rifle.

I dunno, first steps on a journey, I'm excited and wanted to share.
    :ingo:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Very cool, I too know nothing about machining. What I do like too see and hear, is that you both are going to help one another. We need more of this on a Nation wide scale. Instead of the "every man for himself" mentality.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Nice machine......after 30 years as a tool maker I am still learning.....so this adventure is just begun......

Keep the ways clean, oiled, and safety glasses on your face.....

Aaron

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The Emco's are neat little machines... AFAIK, the only mill/lathe combo I know of that is even worth considering (they are a bit light-duty though so keep that in mind). Too bad they are so hard to find.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Ok, so looks like the machine really is the cheap part!!

Here's some new tooling we just got......

Indexable Lathe tools with carbide inserts...
    39523042054_f600676e34_c.jpg

Indexable boring bar set with carbide inserts....
    38422973880_4913642468_c.jpg

Quick change tool post with holders an knurling attachment....
    39336237075_c606ea30aa_c.jpg

parallels...
    26361345748_0a61306cd0_c.jpg

MT2 Collet set...
    38422952000_3339a7043e_c.jpg

Dial indicator with stand... we now have 3 i think...
    40200912442_3a1e8dd323_c.jpg

And 20 piece, 2 flute and 4 flute endmills...
    40200902992_948caa4575_c.jpg

Currently adapting the quick change tool post to fit the compound correctly.

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    Good score. I have a shop but no lathe. At one time we had a jeweler friend that trimmed all of his brass on his jewelers lathe. Keep us posted on your progress.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Looks like you're picking up a lot of cheap import accessories. Just be cautious, especially with the cutting tools themselves. You'll find that while a Chinese indicator may be close enough to work, a Chinese end-mills isn't even close to being good enough to work.

I'm not saying this to beat you up, I've been there. I made the mistake of wasting my money on too many import cutting tools. Now I try to find lots of used or new, old-stock stuff listed on practicalmachinist, ebay, etc. I literally have thousands of end-mills now and I paid relatively little for them. Nobody used HSS anymore and you can pick up boxes of used HSS for not much more than the cost of shipping.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for the tip, i am on practical machinist an a few others like cnczone. My partner was mostly a lathe hand when he was working. The end mills were for me mainly something just to get rolling with.

We are currently modifying the compound to fit the quick change tool post, which is basically replacing the base pin in the compound, boring and tapping it, turning down the center post of the QCTP and re threading it to the pin, so it fits right. If we ever switch back, we have the original base pin from the compound the swap back in.

I originally was buying a mill because I wanted a punch and die to make blanks with. A local shop quoted me 560.00 for one for the smallest size, and I would have had 4k in them all before i was done, IF they all worked the way i wanted em to and hit everything perfect the first time when I drew em up. So it seemed the thing to do was buy a mill for much cheaper an learn to do it myself. Then if I CNC it I might be able to in-house the engraving of new dies, and other custom dies for people.

We just bought some mitsubishi inserts for replacements, and will upgrade tooling as we can. I like to cast aluminum and the end mills seemed like they would be ok for me to get a feel for the machine an do some prototyping in aluminum or non heat treated steel.

I do appreciate the advice and or critiques. This is get rolling while we watch for better stuff :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom