Best way to heat an aluminum receiver? (remove Red Loctite)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    BLUF: what is the best way to heat up a 10/22 receiver to remove a scope base that was installed with Red Loctite on the threads?

I have a 10/22 tactical takedown (all black finish) that I want to take the Weaver scope base off.
    The scope base was installed with Red 271 on the threads. As per the Loctite web site: "For disassembly, heat parts up to 482°F (250°C) and separate parts while hot."
    How should I heat this up without damaging the the finish or worse...the aluminum receiver?

I know how to sweat pipes and have both butane and MAP gas available. Good route?
    I have also thought about cleaning it up and putting it in the oven @ 450 for 15 mins?

Other thoughts or ideas?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    You do not want to heat the receiver - only the screw. Screws are cheap. Receivers not so much..... A 40W soldering iron should work fine.

STFU

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    This was my 1st horrified thought when I read this. Sometimes just some clear nail polish on the thread will hold the fastener in place. Blue is the absolute strongest to use here.

Dammit...I knew it was overkill...the way I always do things.
    ;-)

Thanks all. Great feedback as usual.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Loctite 242 (blue) isn't even intended to be use on screws as small as used in most firearm applications. Loctite 222 (purple) is their small screw theadlocker.

However, since the internet gurus only seem to be aware of Loctite "blue" and many of us have it already, it is what is most frequently used.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Just used a heat gun (not torch) to gently warm up a red lock tighted small screw that I knew for sure would strip. It backed right out after warming it up. Not even really hot-hot.

Just my :twocents:, YMMV.

:ingo:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Heat is great but here is another method i used to remove a barrel nut one my CZ Scorpion (any type of superglue solvent i used one from GOO Gone got it at menards) a couple minutes to let it soak and disolve the glue and it came off pretty easy.... (CZ loves its Loctite for some reason and its worked great.... but keep in mine its a solvent so keep it off plastic parts)

Top Bottom