• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    YES & NO not enough information, what is the O.D.of the threaded area .Must have enough metal to accept threads and stringth

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Most likely yes, the difference between 1/2 and 5/8 is only .063" per side. It's unlikely the brake is so thin on the threaded area that it doesn't have enough material for strength. Your only issue would be that the brake OD may be smaller than the barrel shoulder and make it look odd.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    YES & NO not enough information, what is the O.D.of the threaded area .Must have enough metal to accept threads and stringth

Unfortunately I don't have the specific info you mention. I'm wondering if this could be opened up: Allen Engineering AEMB Muzzle Brake Mount - Capitol Armory

To fit onto this: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Od...w-INTERMEDIATE-p/odin-b-6.5-18-int-tg-bcg.htm

Basically I want to use this 6.5 Grendel barrel on a Mk12 Mod 0 clone which would require rethreading the brake from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 and opening up the bore a touch as well.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It looks doable from here

However it would be easier to rethread the barrel

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Another consideration (I have zero familiarity with that brake), why is the other so expensive? If it were really as easy as making the holes bigger I don't think the cost would be so drastic. It looks to me like this is a multi-piece brake with a threaded collar (that isn't very heavy) that spins freely on the brake. I'm skeptical you could safely open that collar up without causing other issues.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm still in a little bit of shock but I somehow managed into an Ops Inc 12th Model brake & Collar made for the 6.8. This is going onto a 6.5 so it'll work great and I got it really cheap to boot. Right place, right time I guess.

YrnYcq9h.jpg

Now to get the last 2.4" of the barrel knocked down from .7495 to .725 then get the barrel Cerakoted black.

YQEaJh9h.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm glad it worked out for you... but that drawing though :n00b: the muzzle of a barrel does not need to be on a C-size drawing... the vast majority of people can't print a C, many can't print a B. For reference C-size is 17 X 22 they had to have scaled the barrel up in size just to get it to fit the paper...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You're speaking Greek to me CountryBoy, I know less than nothing about that stuff. In looking at it though, is the portion of the barrel that needs to be .725" in diamter, that diameter for 2.4" from the end of the barrel or does that 2.4 mean something else?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Good to see you got a brake that'll work phylodog. I have a buddy who was building a mk12 in 300blk and they were willing to make him the brake in 30 and even a matching can. So I was going to say contact them about one in 6.5 but it looks like you've got everything worked out already!

Top Bottom