• Smack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2018
    House
    Hey guys

Have an interest in building a 1911 from an 80% frame
    I was wondering if anyone has gone this route, and what their thoughts are.

It's not that I cant buy one, I just like to tinker.

Any idea on who's 80% full size frame is best for the money.
    what tools are a must have, and which ones are usually never used.

Thoughts on Cerakote, vs Phosphate vs stainless

Thanks

oh also if anyone has any items their looking to sell that I may need let me know

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Hi Smack! Welcome to INGO.

Building an accurate, reliable, and safe 1911 is a very rewarding venture, but also one that requires a lot understanding of the 1911 tolerances and how parts interact. Definitely spend the time needed in asking questions, looking at videos (some teach you what not to do...), reading the Kuhnhausen manuals, etc. Also, prepare yourself for a bit of an investment in tooling if you do not already own them.

Be a bit careful with stainless as it tends to gall if the tolerances are too tight. A carbon steel frame and slide will be a bit more forgiving.

Andy

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Building an accurate, reliable, and safe 1911 is a very rewarding venture, but also one that requires a lot understanding of the 1911 tolerances and how parts interact. Definitely spend the time needed in asking questions, looking at videos (some teach you what not to do...), reading the Kuhnhausen manuals, etc. Also, prepare yourself for a bit of an investment in tooling if you do not already own them.

Be a bit careful with stainless as it tends to gall if the tolerances are too tight. A carbon steel frame and slide will be a bit more forgiving.

Andy

Good advice. The tooling needed is specific. You can not do this with a hammer/screwdriver and a file.

Smack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2018
    House

Andy

Hey Andy

Thanks you for the info, and the kind words
    I did see your post on the 2011 build, man I would love to have a set up like that !

I do tinker with a small lathe, and mill. amongst many things I have built a few AK's from flats, and heat treated them my self
    a few of my close friends are machinists, and I think all my buds including me have OCD when it comes to building.

Thanks again

Top Bottom