AR-15's easily converted to full auto, or BS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    Let me preface this by saying that I have no interest in illegally converting an AR-15 to be fully automatic.

However, I am getting tired of hearing 2A deniers claim that converting an AR-15 to full auto is "easy," and would like some information to counter these claims.

After doing some research, it seems that there are two scenarios. The first involves converting a modern AR-15 to select fire. From what I gather, this requires machining the receiver to accommodate a full auto sear, replacing the trigger group with one capable of full auto (and this is more complicated than simply filing down some parts) and replacing the BCG with one designed for full auto.

The second scenario involves converting an AR-15 to full auto with no option for semi-automatic fire. I have not been able to find much information on this, but one source suggested that simply installing a full auto sear would accomplish this (although it would require quite a bit of machining of a modern receiver).

Could anyone expand on whether this is accurate?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If there is, I doubt anyone here will describe how. Ease kind of depends on your skill set. I doubt a guy with a dremel and a file could reliably do it. But if you are a machinist with the right working knowledge, it's probably doable in short order.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just do what I do when dealing with idiots, ask them to explain the process. Start off with "you just bought an AR15 and brought it home with the intention of making it full auto. What is your next step?" Make them tell you how easy it is. It doesn't take long before people who are full of **** expose themselves as being full of ****. Expect them to call you a name or bring up something completely unrelated before stomping away to pout somewhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just do what I do when dealing with idiots, ask them to explain the process. Start off with "you just bought an AR15 and brought it home with the intention of making it full auto. What is your next step?" Make them tell you how easy it is. It doesn't take long before people who are full of **** expose themselves as being full of ****. Expect them to call you a name or bring up something completely unrelated before stomping away to pout somewhere.

I am often tempted to trip them as the stomp away. It is a better reaction than ***** slapping them when they revert to name calling.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    If there is, I doubt anyone here will describe how. Ease kind of depends on your skill set. I doubt a guy with a dremel and a file could reliably do it. But if you are a machinist with the right working knowledge, it's probably doable in short order.

I am not interested in details. I am trying to determine how difficult (or not) it is to make the conversion. From what I have read, it is not simple and requires a level of machining skills that most people do not possess. I suppose my bottom line question is, can you simply "drop in" a simple part (sear/BCG/whatever) and make an AR-15 fully automatic. Or is that just BS?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am not interested in details. I am trying to determine how difficult (or not) it is to make the conversion. From what I have read, it is not simple and requires a level of machining skills that most people do not possess. I suppose my bottom line question is, can you simply "drop in" a simple part (sear/BCG/whatever) and make an AR-15 fully automatic. Or is that just BS?

If you had a full auto lower stripped an the bench next to a semi-auto lower the diff. would be obvious. There are other bits in the ignition controls.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You have to drill the receiver to accept the auto sear pin. It has to be exact. Also some manufacturers (a lot actualy) don't mill out the "shelf" low enough or far back enough to fit the auto sear. Colt is notorious for this still and when they saw the AWB on tthe horizon in the 90's they actualy permanently inserted a sear blocker and milled out a pin hole for a steel pin in the receiver. They look gey.
    I've seen on different gun groups people talking about idiots who sell jigs to do,the conversion. Those are dumb people who would sell such a device for one because it encourages people to break the law and two if someone converts their AR to FA and kills a cop or some kods ECT then guess who's butt they are crawling up!
    2, it's probably an ATF sting because they catch retards all the time probably who buy that crap and have no clue and others who know what they are doing.
    It's ok to want to know how things work and stuff. As long as you don't do it. Or if you want to make full autos then get your proper paperwork done through the ATF and become a manufacturer. Plenty of FFL's who only do it as an excuse to own dealer sample full autos or ones they can make and own for as long as they have that tax status.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Select fire, you would have to use a select fire trigger group like what’s in a m16. They require 3 holes in the receiver, not just the 2 that are in an AR. In addition, you need the trigger group. Order one of those, and you’re going to get some eyes on you. And bubba is not going to be making them with a dremmel.

Or, you can use a drop in auto sear with a low shelf receiver, m16 hammer, and m16 selector. Again.....not easy to make. But it’s would allow you to use most AR’s because the auto sear is dropped in.....not held in with a pin like a normal m16 fire control group.

Third option is a lightning link. Again.....you aren’t just filing some parts down.

There is no way to file a normal AR trigger group and have timing right for it to run full auto. You would have to be a machinist and be able to manufacture some components.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The method above that I described is the right way to do it if you were legal. I forgot to mention it requires the full auto trigger group with the selector and auto sear. The BGG is just a standard M16 style that are in most good Ar's nowadays. There is also a device called a lightning link those are serialized and require a tax stamp ( I'm talking legal means here) and run about $10-13 thousand dollars I think now. From what I've read some of those are hard to tune, like buffer weight, spring ECT. But once you get it right they run. I believe those don't allow semi auto fire when installed but this is not fact, I'm guessing.
    Those also require a specialy cut down carrier.

Once again, I am not advocating anyone do this unless you have the tax stamp for a registered lower which would already be FA. Or the tax stamp to a registered lightning link. Or your sot7 I think it is thst allows you to be a manufacturer although don't quote me on if I got the number correct.
    Of you break NFA law you are a dumbass. They will find you. They will throw your ass in jail and they are looking for you and they have eyes and ears everywhere. Full auto is cool but it's not worth becoming a fellon and losing your freedom and losing your gun rights FOREVER over.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I can think of an easier way, but I'm not really keen on discussing it on a forum. And even that would require some level of skill. It wouldn't be as easy as the media makes it out to be, and the end result would suck.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....RDIAS or Lightning links can be bought legally.....for $15-$20k.

Theres some good YouTube videos on how they work.

The method above that I described is the right way to do it if you were legal. I forgot to mention it requires the full auto trigger group with the selector and auto sear. The BGG is just a standard M16 style that are in most good Ar's nowadays. There is also a device called a lightning link those are serialized and require a tax stamp ( I'm talking legal means here) and run about $10-13 thousand dollars I think now. From what I've read some of those are hard to tune, like buffer weight, spring ECT. But once you get it right they run. I believe those don't allow semi auto fire when installed but this is not fact, I'm guessing.
    Those also require a specialy cut down carrier

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    There is no easy way that ensures proper timing with the bolt closing and the hammer dropping after without manufacturing some component.

Modifying it to slam fire would be extremely dangerous because you would not be able to ensure proper lock.

I can think of an easier way, but I'm not really keen on discussing it on a forum. And even that would require some level of skill. It wouldn't be as easy as the media makes it out to be, and the end result would suck.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yup.....RDIAS or Lightning links can be bought legally.....for $15-$20k.

Theres some good YouTube videos on how they work.

Damn they've went up fast. I almost bought one years ago wjen they were only $3500. Back then $3500 was a lot more money to me than it is today. Still a lot of money but of I would have known they would go up in value that high and fast I would have sold sperm if I had to in order to buy one lol

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm a firearms lover. I love the mechanics of them and love knowing how they work. It's completely ok to know how things are made and how they function. No lines are crossed there.
    It's when people break the law no matter if we agree with comstitutionality of the NFA laws or not, they are there not to be ****ed with unless you want to be the next ruby ridge

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Me too. I’d love a RDIAS. I think there’s less than 1000 registered. They’ll do nothing but increase in value as long as the laws stay intact.

Damn they've went up fast. I almost bought one years ago wjen they were only $3500. Back then $3500 was a lot more money to me than it is today. Still a lot of money but of I would have known they would go up in value that high and fast I would have sold sperm if I had to in order to buy one lol

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    There is no easy way that ensures proper timing with the bolt closing and the hammer dropping after without manufacturing some component.

Modifying it to slam fire would be extremely dangerous because you would not be able to ensure proper lock.

If you did it the way I'm thinking, your main problem would be reliability. But done incorrectly, you could definitely have problems with OOB ignition. Either way, it isn't as easy as the media portrays it. Also, as I said, you would still have a sucky rifle when you got done.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I've often thought about selling off a lot of my un or little used things to purchase a RDIAS but I probably wouldn't be able to run it much because of the ammo cost and the novelty would eventually wear off. That's a lot of money for a couple little pieces of metal joined as one, with an NFA number engraved on it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you did it the way I'm thinking, your main problem would be reliability. But done incorrectly, you could definitely have problems with OOB ignition. Either way, it isn't as easy as the media portrays it. Also, as I said, you would still have a sucky rifle when you got done.

Of course it is not that easy but would you think the spin masters of the MSM are going to tell the truth.

Top Bottom