• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Hey all you smithers! I am considering a P99, the newer version with paddle mag release. It has a 9 lb DA first trigger pull, which to me, stinks. Can these be lightened or is there a nicer trigger option?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Easy: get a different P99.
    The P99 is a bit of an oddity in the world of triggers there are 3: one's a normal striker (always precocked: SAO, light), one's a DAO (always decocked, kinda DAO, heavy), and lastly is the anti-stress (AS) which is basically a DA/SA with a decocker.

For the AS trigger you can carry it in 3 modes:
    -decocked/DA (long heavy first pull, short subsequent pulls like a hammer-fired DA/SA)
    -fully cocked (SA)
    -anti-stress mode (precocked but not preset trigger, long light first pull, short light later pulls.)

If you're in DA or AS, you can load and decock for DA/SA, leave it be for AS, or pull the trigger to pre-set it without firing (not suggested because pulling the trigger on a loaded gun)

Hate to ref another forum but they already cover it:
    variations: TRGGER VARIATION QA-AS-99Q-PPQ - WaltherForums

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    What are the different P99s? Do you mean just select the trigger type=diff P99? I would prefer a standard striker fired. I don't like long, difficult first trigger pulls. I like a shorter travel. I do prefer the paddle mag release. So does that mean buy the SAO P99? I am used to S&W M&P style triggers.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You can go with the Walther PPQ M1 or P99 if you want the paddle release. The PPQ might be a better choice for you. That said I really appreciate my P99 with AS trigger. The double action is quite manageable and single action is very good for a polymer Pistol. The P99 was revolutionary 20 years ago.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What are the different P99s? Do you mean just select the trigger type=diff P99? I would prefer a standard striker fired. I don't like long, difficult first trigger pulls. I like a shorter travel. I do prefer the paddle mag release. So does that mean buy the SAO P99? I am used to S&W M&P style triggers.

There are 3 types of triggers available in the P99. Only one of them has a long heavy first pull (the anti-stress or AS). Even if you get an AS, if you don't decock it, you won't have a long heavy first pull. It's like a DA/SA hammer-fired gun: you can decock or not.

Look for a P99 without a decocker on the top of the slide. P99 QA is Walther's terminology or it may be labeled as SAO (which it is), that'll be most like the M&P.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Awesome. Found a good deal in my price range on a PPQ .45 (new, $510). I did another post about looking for a used 45 for $500, so if the PPQ 45 fits nicely at the 1500, thats what I'll be going for more than likely. They were both designed in Ulm by the same guy and have been reviewed as excellent.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you found a deal on a new gun, you want a .45 and you want a P99/PPQ, why did you not buy the gun? Save your $$$ If and gas going to the 1500 and get another mag or box of ammo.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Haven't bought due to money and I haven't held it yet. Going to 1500 to see one in person, not necessarily to buy it there. Show prices can be expensive, but sometimes there are some used deals (like an original P99 I saw there I'm still mad I didn't buy). Prices this year will probably be ridiculous with the current climate.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The heavy DA trigger pull on the P99 is only when you push the "decocker" button on the top. If you don't push that button then it is the light single action pull, which I think is like 4.5 lbs. So the DA on the P99AS is optional.

Top Bottom