• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Edited to add.....
    Mods if this needs moved to NFA section, feel free to move. I really wasnt sure if I wanted to put this in gunsmithing or NFA. I guess it is both.

Let me start this thread off by saying that unless you have the proper licensing 07/02 ffl/sot, that this is as illegal as it gets and will land you in federal prison. So please do not attempt anything like this unless you have the proper licensing and fill out the proper paperwork. I do have the proper paperwork and this firearm (machine gun) was manufactured by me (Rafferty Custom Guns, LLC) and has had the proper markings and proper form 2 filed.

So I took a few pics throughout some of this process (not enough) and thought I would put a small build thread together. This thing is a ton of fun to shoot and having a beltfed has always been something I thought I would never be able to afford until I pursued getting my 07/02.

On a browning M1919, the ATF considers the right side plate the firearm. So most of the work on this is de-milling the parts kit to accept the side plate and machining the right side plate. The build was based on an Israeli M1919A4 in .308 that I did some horse trading to acquire. The kit I had was in fairly good shape but obviously has seen extensive use. There is a ton of information on this already out on the interwebz, so this is really nothing new, just my version.

Just because I can never wait for the ending, here is a video of the final result. I will continue to add some pics and insight as I update this thread.

[video=facebook_share;10212662310685120]https://www.facebook.com/pat.rafferty.927/videos/10212662310685120/[/video]

Last edited:

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Here are a couple pics as the kit came to me. I purchased an 80% right side plate, so the overall shape was already cut out and some of the holes were already drilled in the plate.

It was shipped to me partially assembles as that was just the easiest way at the time. Here it is right out of the box.

2r6o3dz.jpg

and another pic sitting on the tripod I bought for it. It was a cheaper copy/new production tripod and definitely isn't as good as nos ones. But.....if you have seen the price of nos tripods these days you would know why I bought a cheaper one.

2j1ldll.jpg

And finally, a pic of the right side plate as I am starting to lay out the machining.

2rvzz9k.jpg

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    The right side plate needs a few slots machined in it. I used a copy of original blueprints to layout the machining and ensure I kept things to spec. I used endmills for the slots on my manual machine. In hindsight, I would use a keyseat cutter or woodruff cutter to do this work, but I didnt have one on hand at the time. It was VERY tedious and tiny endmills aren't the best tools for making long slots in steel. Yes I did break a couple, lol.

Blueprints and starting to lay out the machine work

29nh6qb.jpg

Milling the slots....pay no attention to the high dollar air nozzle/mister. Sometimes you just have to improvise (and I only had masking tape...no high speed duct tape)

27ywjo3.jpg

And here is the sideplate with slots mostly finished.

20ubfd1.jpg

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Good looking work......

As a veteran of the tool &die shops, allow me to give you some advise on small die slots.......start by "gang drilling" drill a line of holes Wil say .015 between holes ,leaving just a thin web, then make one pass down it with an undersized end mill (2 flute) off set and make a cut down both sides ........ oh yea.....no tape for the mister, zip ties....I hate sticky residue on my angle plates......

Killer work!

Aaron

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Good looking work......

As a veteran of the tool &die shops, allow me to give you some advise on small die slots.......start by "gang drilling" drill a line of holes Wil say .015 between holes ,leaving just a thin web, then make one pass down it with an undersized end mill (2 flute) off set and make a cut down both sides ........ oh yea.....no tape for the mister, zip ties....I hate sticky residue on my angle plates......

Killer work!

Aaron

Aaron...thanks for the tip. Great advice and would have never thought of that, will definitely try that in the future for slots. I definitely would forego the endmill for a slitting saw or keyseat cutter next time. I'm sure they have there disadvantages as well, but these slots really are pretty crude and dont need to be chatter free and perfect finish, etc.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    We're waiting on the Action Videos!!!! Looks Great!

at the bottom of post #1 is a video of it in action. I've got a post sample FAL in .308, but the 1919 seems to have more impact, concussion, etc. It's just a much more visceral experience for whatever reason. Maybe its because your cheek isn't bouncing off the stock and you can actually see what is going on. LOL

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Awesome work and very cool gun. I want one on my Jeep. Fer squirells and sech......

One of the projects I would like to tackle is to make a mount for the hitch of my truck. So I can back up to a shooting area, install the 1919 and then jump in the bed to fire. Why??? Cuz Merica :patriot:

Top Bottom