• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im diving back into lever guns here recently i bought another marlin and have been adding sights and what not to the others. On my new one i want to put in a larger looped lever. I know you can buy the big loops but i kinda want a project so im thinking of taking a new finger loop ($80) and chopping the loop off and welding in my own. The questions are how hard is it to fit the a new lever in a 336 and two has anyone here done this? i think it would be kind of fun and i could get the shape i want.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You can do it. Some of the big loops are too big. I prefer what they call a hunters loop. Bigger than standard but not John Wayne big. One in which a large winter glove fits in. After the sizing you can do a leather wrap on the loop also.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My dad has a 94 winchester with the john wayne loop its fun but i agree its a bit big. I sketched up a couple i think i would like. so far i think i would like kind of a pear shaped one similar to the chiappa 92 takedowns. at the same time the wild west guns levers are nice too.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ranger, mule man, and Wild West make nice loops that drop in if you don’t want to adjust yours.

Wild West guns happy trigger is a nice upgrade if you don’t like the factory marlin flop trigger and the aluminum mag follower is a nice addition in place of the plastic one from the factory. (Very cold weather upgrade) My trigger with a little work with a stone (careful work) are very nice.

Of the factory loop replacements. I like mule man’s shape. That said I invested in better gloves. Kept the original levers in place but I have hands that are not on the larger size of average.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I recently purchased a 45/70 marlin and decided I wanted a large loop. After checking around and pricing the choices, I found the best deal was directly from Marlin. You do have to ship to ffl but my guy ordered it for me at no extra charge since I had purchased the rifle. At first the new lever was a bit tight and didn't always "seat". After cleaning good and working the action quite a few times, now it works perfectly. Very happy and you probably cant beat the marlin price for the part.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I really dont feel like fiddling with the hardness up front on the contact points. with welding i can use heat control paste and heat sinks to control the heat. Really just too lazy to deal with it lol

Top Bottom