• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am building a .300 AAC AR-15 pattern pistol over the next few months. This thread will chronicle the build.

I purchased my first part, a Spikes lower last week. So the next purchase is a LPK. What are your recommendations?

I am not building a super-premium firearm, but not looking to build it as cheaply as possible. Quality parts, suitable for full-spectrum use.

21ep85v.jpg

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    First in to say; "it depends on what you want to do with it..." :)

:popcorn:

I reckon that depends on how much you want to know...:shady:

It's not a range toy, and the caliber choice sets a few parameters. The configuration belies a couple more.

What pertinent info should I provide for the LPK purchase?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm teasing a bit, my friend. However a do have a a related question for the gallery though. How much blasphemy is it to use a cheap LPK without trigger group and toss the extra bucks at a nicer trigger?

I was intending to go this route, before I ran into a PSA special on the whole lower kit that I couldn't pass up. Still ended up with an extra milspec trigger that didn't get used.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I find better quality LPK's like ALG's are a bit better finished and assembly seems to go smoother compared to the lower priced options i have tried.

I tend to go with ALG's ACT if I want a smooth "mill spec" trigger and Larue's MBT if I want a two stage trigger.

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'm teasing a bit, my friend. However a do have a a related question for the gallery though. How much blasphemy is it to use a cheap LPK without trigger group and toss the extra bucks at a nicer trigger?

I was intending to go this route, before I ran into a PSA special on the whole lower kit that I couldn't pass up. Still ended up with an extra milspec trigger that didn't get used.

That's what I did with my last build. Larue trigger on the last Black Friday sale at $99. Got 3 LPK with no trigger from Stag at the same time for $14 each. Planning on the same thing this year. I've been putting money back since the last sale in anticipation.

Until then if I need more then I'll probably go with the BCM LPK and try to sell the trigger since I'm now hooked on the Larue.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've replaced too many parts from cheap lpk's. I only use seekins or cmmg now. I can't speak for the spikes kit. I used to use Anderson, because they used to be adequate and who cares when you don't use the mil trigger anyway right, but the last two I had were trash. The first junk lpk left me with a safety that would wobble replaced with quality selector and fixed the issue, the second (because I thought the first problem was a fluke) had a wobbly selector and the take down pins nearly needed to be hit with a hammer to open. I really like the seekins lpk without the trigger. I love the mag release button (have retrofitted all my rifles with them) the detents are rock solid, nice ambi safety, excellent trigger guard. It is probably on the high end of lpk's tho. CMMG provides consistent and repeatable quality in their lpk's and the provided mil spec trigger is actually really nice right out of the box.

So I'd go cmmg if you want the trigger, and seekins if you can swing a little extra cash and add your own trigger.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

I gotcha, buddy. My reply was in the same vein. Good question on the trigger break-out!

I've replaced too many parts from cheap lpk's. I only use seekins or cmmg now. I can't speak for the spikes kit. I used to use Anderson, because they used to be adequate and who cares when you don't use the mil trigger anyway right, but the last two I had were trash. The first junk lpk left me with a safety that would wobble replaced with quality selector and fixed the issue, the second (because I thought the first problem was a fluke) had a wobbly selector and the take down pins nearly needed to be hit with a hammer to open. I really like the seekins lpk without the trigger. I love the mag release button (have retrofitted all my rifles with them) the detents are rock solid, nice ambi safety, excellent trigger guard. It is probably on the high end of lpk's tho. CMMG provides consistent and repeatable quality in their lpk's and the provided mil spec trigger is actually really nice right out of the box.

So I'd go cmmg if you want the trigger, and seekins if you can swing a little extra cash and add your own trigger.

Thanks for this first-hand info! I was concerned about quality slipping with the budget units. I may try a few more triggers and see if I want to go the separate parts route.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Still just the lower. We had a little medical incident, so I've got to build that fund back up. Hopefully I will be getting an LPK by the end of the month.

User 0

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Walnut Creek
    I've got a rock river arms lpk in my budget .300. It does it's job. I just got a Geissele lpk for $40 with no pistol grip which is better. I put the ergo deluxe grip on every gun I can, because it's the only one that fits my hand.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Finally got a LPK on order! I went with the BCM Enhanced after trying one in a friend’s rifle.

I have been really liking the bcm lpk's. The trigger is satisfactory for any build, and super nice for a milspec build. The cmmg premium lpk's are just as nice, but without the nice grip. it all equals out. I've had cheap lpk's and always end up replacing them piece by piece.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Got the lower together last night! Now trying to decide on SBR/ stock or leaving it as a pistol build and getting a brace. I'm leaning SBR, what are all the cool kids using for stocks these days?

Top Bottom