• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I decided I wanted to finally put together a rifle that would be a real tackdriver. I’ve purchased the rifle and the scope and it’s now time to mount the scope. Being somewhat of a neophyte when it comes to getting really specific about scope mounting for accuracy, I now turn to INGO for advice and counsel. I read that scope rings should be lapped. This, I presume, means that the rings should be mounted to the base(s) and then lapped to ensure precise alignment with the axis of the bore and to make sure the scope fits perfectly in the rings as well.

Short of purchasing tools for a one time use, I’m hoping to find someone who has either gone thru the process and has the equipment or who can direct me to a gunsmith with reasonable rates.

And . . . . . . I haven’t purchased the rings yet. Do I need to spend $150 to obtain rings that will help contribute to accuracy or is a lesser cost sufficient ? The scope I have is a Vortex 6-24x50 with a 30mm tube.

Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Good rings are always an important component. Don't skimp.

I always lap rings, because no matter how nice the rings or how well you mount them, there always seems to be a little room for improvement. The last time I did it, I had some really nice rings, and I might have gotten away without it. But there's usually a point where it binds a little, and a few passes with a lapping bar exposes them. It gets debated a lot, but I think it's cheap insurance. Just don't lap until you've gone too far. I usually go until I get 60-70% bearing surface. Most rings I've seen have 30% or less as they come from the factory.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Lapping is the only thing that voids to warranty on most good rings. If you buy 20 dollar rings, lap away, but if you buy good rings your taking something that is computer machined more accurate than a human hair, and making it as accurate as your hand.

madvarminter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2015
    franklin
    i didnt lap when i got started in rifles but i also could only afford 25$ kmart tasco scopes too. i lap everything now. actions are known to be drilled and tapped crooked wich leads to crooked mounts put perfect rings on that and they arent in line

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Lapping does not have anything to do with alignment to the bore. Quality mounting components and precise drilling of the mount holes takes care of that. Take the top part of the ring off and lay your scope in the bottom. Alignment will be apparent.

I wish I had invented lapping tools and case trimmers. I would be a gazillionair now.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lapping is the only thing that voids to warranty on most good rings. If you buy 20 dollar rings, lap away, but if you buy good rings your taking something that is computer machined more accurate than a human hair, and making it as accurate as your hand.
    The rings may be perfect,but what about bases and mounting holes in the reciever? Lapping help cure misalignment of all components.Best alternative is Burris rings with plastic inserts.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The rings may be perfect,but what about bases and mounting holes in the reciever? Lapping help cure misalignment of all components.Best alternative is Burris rings with plastic inserts.

Most bases are machined to the same tolerances. Mounting holes are the week point, and making does very little to correct that.

That said, if anyone feels their hands are more precise than modern machining be my guest. Lapping was real popular in the 80s when we didn't have the technology we do today. It started looking favor in the 90's/2000's. Since 2010 I only hear of someone doing it a couple times a year, and keep in mind, I talk to thousands of people a year about mounting.

I still own a lapping kit, in case I see an issue it might fix, but mounting a couple hundred scopes a year, I probably haven't broke it out in 3 years.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've been using Burris Zee rings for decades.
    No probs.
    Did switch to the Posi Lines when they came out ("Signature model").
    Never needed to purchase offset inserts.
    Never lapped any reg rings. Never needed to.

Last edited:

ndbbm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    I've been using Burris Zee rings for decades.
    No probs.
    Did switch to the Posi Lines when they came out ("Signature model").
    Never needed to purchase offset inserts.
    Never lapped any reg rings. Never needed to.

Go this route.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I decided I wanted to finally put together a rifle that would be a real tackdriver. IÂ’ve purchased the rifle and the scope and itÂ’s now time to mount the scope. Being somewhat of a neophyte when it comes to getting really specific about scope mounting for accuracy, I now turn to INGO for advice and counsel. I read that scope rings should be lapped. This, I presume, means that the rings should be mounted to the base(s) and then lapped to ensure precise alignment with the axis of the bore and to make sure the scope fits perfectly in the rings as well.

Short of purchasing tools for a one time use, IÂ’m hoping to find someone who has either gone thru the process and has the equipment or who can direct me to a gunsmith with reasonable rates.

And . . . . . . I havenÂ’t purchased the rings yet. Do I need to spend $150 to obtain rings that will help contribute to accuracy or is a lesser cost sufficient ? The scope I have is a Vortex 6-24x50 with a 30mm tube.

Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jesus there is a lot of discussion here with no solutions.

I'll do it just to stop the angst.

Shoot me a PM.

-Nate

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Most bases are machined to the same tolerances. Mounting holes are the week point, and making does very little to correct that.

That said, if anyone feels their hands are more precise than modern machining be my guest. Lapping was real popular in the 80s when we didn't have the technology we do today. It started looking favor in the 90's/2000's. Since 2010 I only hear of someone doing it a couple times a year, and keep in mind, I talk to thousands of people a year about mounting.

I still own a lapping kit, in case I see an issue it might fix, but mounting a couple hundred scopes a year, I probably haven't broke it out in 3 years.

I think this is the guy I'd trust regarding mounting optics :ingo:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Tried to send end a PM but your mailbox is full.

Hey amboy, sorry about that. I did send you a reply the other day. My membership had lapsed, so it truncated my inbox. Fixed that.

I think this is the guy I'd trust regarding mounting optics :ingo:

He is quite knowledgeable, and it is good of Alan to make time to post his knowledge on the forum.

That being said, he's far from the only one in that group, and there's sometimes more than one good way to do things.

If amboy49 wants to ream, lap, and/or epoxy bed the rings on his rifle, he won't do any harm in doing so if it's done correctly. I can do that.

So..

:ingo:

-Nate

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hey amboy, sorry about that. I did send you a reply the other day. My membership had lapsed, so it truncated my inbox. Fixed that.

He is quite knowledgeable, and it is good of Alan to make time to post his knowledge on the forum.

That being said, he's far from the only one in that group, and there's sometimes more than one good way to do things.

If amboy49 wants to ream, lap, and/or epoxy bed the rings on his rifle, he won't do any harm in doing so if it's done correctly. I can do that.

So..

-Nate

Understood. Just thinking that getting quality rings that are built right in the first place is the key these days.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Burris Signature.....

Also recommend Burris Signature Rings. Aligns automatically. Prevents damage to expensive scopes.

Is the way to go..The inserts self align, and you will NEVER mark, or damage your scope with these, as long as proper torque is used on the ring screws.

FWIW: I am also Old School--I have a lapping tool+compound for 1" tubes..I mostly choose Burris Signature for my quality scopes..

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Apologize if it has already been suggested, but if you buy Burris Signature "Z" rings with the plastic inserts that surround the scope on the inside of the rings you need not lap them. They also leave no ring marks what so ever. I have them on my 338wm, 7mm stw and 12ga Browning A-bolt Slug hunter and both 12ga 3.5" magnum turkey guns that I also scoped, all very hard recoiling firearms and assuming you install properly and lock-tight all screws as I did you should again as I have NEVER encountered any issues with the rings and mounts.

I also have used rings by Talley and Warne and rate the Burris "Z" rings every bit as good as either IMHO.

Give the Burris Signature "Z" rings a look,

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

So..

-Nate

Alan knows his stuff and I can assure you Nate does as well. He has done work on my rifles and is meticulous, I'd trust him with any firearm I own and would receive it back in better shape than when I handed it over.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So I haven't been as nearly into long guns as I have been handguns over the years, and am asking this in the vein of continuing to learn. I knew lapping rings was a thing from research many years ago, but had always kind of assumed that was due to the tolerances in scopes and rings, etc not being the best they could be, etc. I assumed based on Alan's response that was a thing of the past, and given modern manufacturing of higher quality rings, etc that may not be necessary.

So which is it? With quality components is there improvement to be made by lapping rings, etc.

I see Nate says
    ream, lap, and/or epoxy bed the rings on his rifle, he won't do any harm in doing so if it's done correctly.
    but is doing no harm mean actually doing any good?

I get that hand fitting in things like a 1911, etc can be beneficial so maybe it's the same thing, but again had assumed things had advanced far enough at least with quality ring manufacturers that this may not be needed any more. If it is needed, is it due to tolerance stacking or because one can truly do it better by hand the modern machinery, or something else?

Top Bottom