• ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    4092ktV.jpg

Finally transferred in a RH side plate. Currently right now I'm going back in on Solidworks and making a 3D model from the prints I got. The prints are a bit of a jumbled mess at the moment. Got quite bit of work ahead of me yet but I'll try and keep this thread as updated as possible on the build.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Nice!!!! Keep us updated. This is one that I could see building in the near future. Who/where did you source your parts kit and plate???

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Nice!!!! Keep us updated. This is one that I could see building in the near future. Who/where did you source your parts kit and plate???

The plate I got from Karma Metal Products. I'll be purchasing the parts kit from Gryphos, still saving for that bit haha. I'm going with the unmodified kit and doing the machining myself to save some money. KMP provides all the dimensions needed for the semi-auto modifications (to their plate, tigger and sear of course). Everything for the most part is just straight clearance cuts on the mill. The sear slot on the bolt, I will most likely borrow work's sinker EDM instead of milling it out.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Got a model made up in solidworks and some blue prints that aren't as clustered as the original print I got with the side plate. Prints aren't "standardized" just wanted something I could see the dimensions easier on.

rSqRzbO.jpg

3LFcvlN.png

34IGXOf.png

u0qR9gC.jpg

Had a giggle when I imported the dimensions directly from the model :):

MxIv61U.png

UNnOhH4.png

5dvcgkK.png

HzGN4Oq.png

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Nice work!!!

CAD is another skill I need to learn. Cost of software and lack of time have kept me from taking the plunge. I hand write all of my cnc programs so I probably could have become proficient with a drawing program in the many, many hours I have writing and de-bugging programs.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Nice work!!!

CAD is another skill I need to learn. Cost of software and lack of time have kept me from taking the plunge. I hand write all of my cnc programs so I probably could have become proficient with a drawing program in the many, many hours I have writing and de-bugging programs.

I've been fortunate that my work provided me a laptop with Solidworks and AutoCAD Inventor. If you can write G code you can definitely do this. CNC is one reason why I built the model so that I can make my own side plate for my next build. Haven't done a lot of CNC been more manual machines than anything myself.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Is there such a thing as a pre-'86 transferable side plate? Not that I would ever have the budget for such a thing, but that would be amazing.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Is there such a thing as a pre-'86 transferable side plate? Not that I would ever have the budget for such a thing, but that would be amazing.

every now and then a transferable side plate will pop up, pretty rare though just because of mess of removing the rivets. I know one person that found one pretty recently and ending up getting a parts kit for it and building it. Plate alone though was $20K. I hope to find one for mine one day if i ever get the money :):

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    every now and then a transferable side plate will pop up, pretty rare though just because of mess of removing the rivets. I know one person that found one pretty recently and ending up getting a parts kit for it and building it. Plate alone though was $20K. I hope to find one for mine one day if i ever get the money :):

Sounds incredible

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    So been making a little headway on the build. Got about 98% of the parts. couple little odds and ends stuff yet. Honestly been waiting for it to warm up before I start messing around in the garage lol. In the mean time I found some more prints and made some more 3D models. have a little to clean up on the models yet. Just making a quick assembly just to make sure everything is "lining up" right.

6vwtIrG.png

ELYDNdX.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Looking good! I’ve got an odd question that I honk I asked someone with a semi 1919 before... What is this classified as? It’s not meant to be fired from the shoulder, so is it really a ‘rifle’. Technically you can fire it with one hand, even though it’s tripod mounted but that would be the biggest pistol I’ve ever seen! Obviously you don’t have to worry about a 4473 transfer since you are building it yourself, I was just curious how it would transfer if bought as a built, ready to go gun.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Looking good! I’ve got an odd question that I honk I asked someone with a semi 1919 before... What is this classified as? It’s not meant to be fired from the shoulder, so is it really a ‘rifle’. Technically you can fire it with one hand, even though it’s tripod mounted but that would be the biggest pistol I’ve ever seen! Obviously you don’t have to worry about a 4473 transfer since you are building it yourself, I was just curious how it would transfer if bought as a built, ready to go gun.
    You didn’t see the spot on the 4473 for “Just ****ing Cool”? The one I saw had a spot for rifle, pistol, other, and JFC.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN

The right hand sight plate is what is actually considered the firearm on these similar to the 1919s. If I remember right it went down as other, dont quote me on that tho lol. Indiucky might remember, had him transfer it in for me.

The RSHPs will usually come in a 80% or 100% option. And are treated very similar to the AR-15 lowers. This particular one was considered 100% even though the rivet holes were not drilled and countersunk yet. I think most semi-auto receivers that are manufactured for the M2 are considered 100%. I have seen some that aren't serial numbered but they aren't just "pop holes and rivet ready", quite a bit of machining is still required more like a 50%. Look more like blanks than anything. The 1919s are a little different. The 80% RHSP are a little more common, all they need is the holes drilled and countersunk and no paperwork of course. I could be wrong about all that, but from just looking around the past couple years that is pretty much what I've come across.

I know that the holes for the M2 receivers aren't present because its something that has to be done at assembly. I'm thinking its because of "tolerance stacking" issues, simply things just wont line up. The 1919 has a lot less going on so tolerance stacking is a little more controllable per say. You can buy True 100% complete semi-auto RHSPs for the 1919s ready for riveting. Why they still consider the M2s 100% without the holes verses the 1919 is beyond me. Me thinks tis big brother watching, and they want keep track of who has those.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Just finished up part of the trunnion in the model. Drawing threads are a pain... Solidworks only gives standardized threads for their "threading" feature.

xYVXkhU.png

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Ramo Manufacturing out of Nashville Tenn. made new transferable sideplates for the M 2 50 cal. and for the 1919 30 cal. They do come up for sale occasionally. Pricey.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Ramo Manufacturing out of Nashville Tenn. made new transferable sideplates for the M 2 50 cal. and for the 1919 30 cal. They do come up for sale occasionally. Pricey.

How does that work with the 86 ban? I thought you couldn't own any machine guns made post 1986 without being a dealer? Can't remember what exactly type of FFL that is but if I remember right its a Type 1 or type 7 with an SOT of some sort. I think the only difference between the two having the right to "manufacture."

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    How does that work with the 86 ban? I thought you couldn't own any machine guns made post 1986 without being a dealer? Can't remember what exactly type of FFL that is but if I remember right its a Type 1 or type 7 with an SOT of some sort. I think the only difference between the two having the right to "manufacture."

They are registered "new old stock" sideplates, made before the ban. The sideplates are 100%, they've just never had the rest of the gun installed on them. I even saw a registered Maxim sideplate come up for sale a few years ago. Lots of sideplates, trigger packs, and auto sears were built and registered in the months after FOPA 86 was passed, but before it took legal effect. S&H Arms had new FNC auto sears for sale clear up until the late 90s because they had built and registered so many. Bushmaster sold their last new transferable M-16 in 1994. Ramo, Group Industries, and every other company in that business space at the time did the same because they could see the writing on the wall. Prices increased over the years as supply dwindled and demand increased. The sideplates and such you see for sale now are all on the secondary market - someone bought it new, never built it, and just happen to be selling it. There might still be a few "new" transferable guns or receivers in the big corporate collections (Ruger, Colt, etc.), but those aren't for sale and won't be coming out unless there is a bankruptcy and even then it is not guaranteed. Reed Knight got a lot of his rare Colt experimental guns as payment when Colt was in dire financial trouble and owed him a bunch of money for design work he had done for them.

ETA: That last transferable Bushmaster M-16 - I held it in my hands and viewed the special factory documentation that was with it when it was being resold at auction around 10 years ago. It was a real trip reading that factory letter!

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    They are registered "new old stock" sideplates, made before the ban. The sideplates are 100%, they've just never had the rest of the gun installed on them. I even saw a registered Maxim sideplate come up for sale a few years ago. Lots of sideplates, trigger packs, and auto sears were built and registered in the months after FOPA 86 was passed, but before it took legal effect. S&H Arms had new FNC auto sears for sale clear up until the late 90s because they had built and registered so many. Bushmaster sold their last new transferable M-16 in 1994. Ramo, Group Industries, and every other company in that business space at the time did the same because they could see the writing on the wall. Prices increased over the years as supply dwindled and demand increased. The sideplates and such you see for sale now are all on the secondary market - someone bought it new, never built it, and just happen to be selling it. There might still be a few "new" transferable guns or receivers in the big corporate collections (Ruger, Colt, etc.), but those aren't for sale and won't be coming out unless there is a bankruptcy and even then it is not guaranteed. Reed Knight got a lot of his rare Colt experimental guns as payment when Colt was in dire financial trouble and owed him a bunch of money for design work he had done for them.

ETA: That last transferable Bushmaster M-16 - I held it in my hands and viewed the special factory documentation that was with it when it was being resold at auction around 10 years ago. It was a real trip reading that factory letter!
    Nailed it. I still see new in the box MAC 9s and 10s for sale. One even sold on INGO recently, with the the NIB Sionic suppressor. Lot of speculators from 1986 made bank.

Top Bottom