Join INGunOwners For Free
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Sharpshooter Scuba591's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    300 blackout barrel question

    I am venturing into 300 blackout and have a question about standard vs heavy barrel. I am starting with a 16 inch barrel with a pistol length gas system. I may, in the future, think about SBR; but for now, I am staying with the 16 inch length.
    I'm seeing heavy barrel as a typical designation, marked hbar. What I am not sure of is on this product,
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod97307.aspx

    After talking with the tech at Brownells they tell me this is a standard barrel. It has an outside diameter of .075.
    So does 300 blackout as a standard have a heavy barrel or do I need something actually marked "hbar" like Colt and some others stamp on the barrel?
    Am I right in thinking that a heavy barrel is preferred with the additional pressures created with the 300 round?

    Thanks in advance...

  2. #2
    Grandmaster Bfish's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    A heavy barrel is not necessary. Lot's of guys are out there running "light weight" barrels and such. Pressures won't be an issue.

  3. #3
    Plinker 1stLast&Always's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    A heavy barrel is not necessary. Lot's of guys are out there running "light weight" barrels and such. Pressures won't be an issue.
    +1 to that. The cartridge isn't as powerful as rifle cartridges (it can use magnum pistol powders). No need for an HBar unless you're in combat against deer? I run an M4 profile and no worries.

    Also, why 16"? You can get great velocity and power with 9" in this caliber if you want to try a pistol/brace/stabilizer combo. I remebered to mention mine is 10.5. Of course I'm not trying to use this as a marksman's tool either, it is mainly for 50 yds or less in my case.
    Last edited by 1stLast&Always; 04-17-2018 at 21:12.

  4. #4
    Sharpshooter Scuba591's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stLast&Always View Post
    +1 to that. The cartridge isn't as powerful as rifle cartridges (it can use magnum pistol powders). No need for an HBar unless you're in combat against deer? I run an M4 profile and no worries.

    Also, why 16"? You can get great velocity and power with 9" in this caliber if you want to try a pistol/brace/stabilizer combo. I remebered to mention mine is 10.5. Of course I'm not trying to use this as a marksman's tool either, it is mainly for 50 yds or less in my case.
    I had thought about a shorter length and may still in the future... I simply already had some components on hand and wanted to utilize them. I appreciate the info given though...

  5. #5
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    I hear ya, that extra 200 for the SBR and all the paperwork doesnt seem too fun

  6. #6
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    I run a suppressed 16in. I spent the money there instead of the SBR. its awesome, hoping to get out and test it on turkeys this spring here in South dakota

  7. #7
    Plinker 1stLast&Always's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaulr View Post
    I hear ya, that extra 200 for the SBR and all the paperwork doesnt seem too fun
    No need for SBR. I run mine as a pistol, which can also be used to hunt w/5 round mag if memory serves. Maybe some want to carry it on their hip or in their car? Ha ha.

    With the 10.5" barrel and a good cheek weld (no stock, that's SBR) at 50ft with the red dot I can knock pistol tree plates off the stand. If you want to make it a 16, it will just push more FPS, but not at all necessary.

    Article:
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/300-blackout/
    Last edited by 1stLast&Always; 04-18-2018 at 20:16.

  8. #8
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    unless you start running full auto you won't need that heavy barrel at all. not to say they don't make them and heck hey sell plenty but more that you need. Classic Arms usually has some nice m4 contour for around 70

  9. #9
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    I purchased a very similar complete upper from Brownells, on sale, chambered in 5.56. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod86806.aspx. These uppers are assembled by ATI. FF rail and the gas block were both out of alignment. I corrected this, only to discover that the bottom of the 'low profile gas block' is actually pushing against the not-so free float rail. Waiting for a low profile gas block to arrive. It's been an interesting project. Hindsight, I should have passed on this upper and purchased one from PSA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •